Puma80e

jscott said:
Just tried that - CH already on and flame LED on
That doesn't really answer the question I asked.

Where is this thing you're calling a "flame LED"?

Sponsored Links
I've not taken the front of the boiler off - didn't think it was wise to do so -so I can't see the boiler flames.
There are a run of 4 LEDs next to the following - Mains, Flame, Low System Pressure, Lockout - visible on the front of the boiler. The top one Mains has a red LED, the second is Flame, which when fired up has a green LED.
Sorry - if this doesn't make a lot of sense to you - as you will gather, I know nothing about boilers!

Apologies - I'd forgotten that this was a 80e.

You're wise to stop short of what you're comfortable doing - many aren't. The thing is any further diagnosis, and certainly any boiler repair, is going to involve removing the cover.

If you aren't competent to do that and to treat with care the components that you find behind the cover, then you should stop now and engage an RGI who's capable of fault-finding on this make/model of appliance.

Thanks for all your help and advice.
After 6 years of putting up with hot/cold showers in the summer (when the heating is off) I can hopefully get it fixed.
I've always asked about this problem when the boiler was being serviced and been met with blank looks and told it shouldn't be happening/its a mystery. I can now put these suggestions to the engineer and fingers crossed it can be sorted!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you expected the fault to be identified during a ( cheaper ) routine service?

The real situation is that firms send less capable people to do routine servicing and they often do not have diagnostic skills.

A fault diagnosis will be more expensive as it requires a more experienced person and can be a much more lengthy job.

Tony

Thanks Tony - But unfortunately this has not been the case. Although I have regularly asked during the annual service, I have also asked on two occasions when I've had to call an engineer out for repairs following a system cut out due to low pressure and a boiler failure (which was just last week). Also, all the engineers I've called out have been one-man bands (i.e.not from firms)

You need someone who doesn't come from the Catherine Tate school of boiler monkeys. You may have a faulty sensor, a blockage, or some other problem.
If the diverter were failing to deliver all the boiler's effort to heating the tap water, then some heat would be going to the CH flow pipe, unless it has a failure mode I'm not aware of.
Anything can be blocked of course.
7 year old pumas tend to have a few tired parts in them, but once repaired they generally perform well.

Thanks ChrisR
I'll bear that in mind but it is difficult as a punter to distinguish between someone from the Catherine Tate school of plumbing and the good school of plumbing - you just hope that if they are Corgi registered that that should be enough.
Sounds like I'm going to have to ask a number of questions when I call someone out.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back