myson apollo fanfare wont stay alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to this forum.can any one please help me with my boiler.it lights up ok run for about 30secs to 1min then gos out for about 5mins then fires up again.i've look at other posts on hear but they all go on about banging from the boiler.but i dont get any of this.can anyone please help Gaz.c

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i switch the boiler stat to low and it still dose the same.

Clamber up in the loft and make sure there is some water in the small F&E cistern. Sometimes the valve sticks in the 'up' position.
If there is a manual vent near the cylinder you may be able to bleed some air out of it.
Has anyone tampered with the bypass valve?

hi i checked the cistern and it seams ok.I've just changed the pump so i know thats ok.but i've still got the same trouble boiler staying lit for about 1min then going off for about 5mins before firing up again.well thanks for your help sofar.sorry it's taking so long before i get back but i'm 12 hour nights at the moment.anyway thanks again.

ps. as far as i know no-one hase touched the bypass valve

gaz.c said:
hi i checked the cistern and it seams ok.I've just changed the pump so i know thats ok.but i've still got the same trouble boiler staying lit for about 1min then going off for about 5mins before firing up again.well thanks for your help sofar.sorry it's taking so long before i get back but i'm 12 hour nights at the moment.anyway thanks again

pull the overheat stat out and see if it boiler cuts out

pull the overheat stat out and see if it boiler cuts out

If there was a problem with the overheat stat then the pilot would go out.

How many radiators do you have connected to it?

Are they all turned on?

Are TRV's fitted?

What you can do as a DIYer is help discover any causes of slow flow through the boiler. Normally a slow flow through these boilers is accompanied by noise so once we can be sure of a good flow we can move on.

Next is the temp sensors [hi & Lo stats] whose job it is to turn of the gas at one of 2 temps. Normally people run these on the high setting. I assumed that if you turned it accross to low although slightly self defeating as shutting the boiler off at a lower temp would result in a shorter burning cycle, I hoped you would have noticed a difference. Hopefully we have ruled the hi / lo stats out now.

That leaves us getting into Corgi territory.

The fans on these frequently stiffen up and cause problems sometimes taking the pcb with them or the pcb goes on its own anyway. Very expensive and the reason that these boilers are often regarded as craap.
A flue or fan fault could be indicated by the flame lifting off the burner.

What you can do is look for flame lift, lube the fan bearings with 3 in 1 oil, and have a sniff around the flue pipe to make sure it is intact and unblocked.

There is little else we can do to help here so it could be time to get someone round to sort it now if you want to be warm 4 christmas.

Does the flow pipe get very hot? The return pipe? Could just be a thermostat switching off way too low?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back