Which boiler do heating engineers have in their own house?

nickso said:
i quite liked the grundfos 2 pump system......cant remember if it had a fancy name or not.....only seen it twice though.

it does seem a shame sometimes to throw away a whole board for one relay

The early Potterton Neatheats had a standard plug-in relay in them. I had one in a bathroom cupboard. I was shaving once and heard a chattering from the boiler, I knew what it was. I opened the cupboard, pulled off the control cover (I never kept the screw in it) and saw the relay was arching and was shot. I went into the hall and pulled out the cupboard a spare relay. I just pulled the old out and the new in. Took all of 3 minutes with cream on my face, and continued shaving after. The quickest complaint, diagnosis and repair ever. How was that for service?

If you have soldering iron you can resolder a new relay into a pcb.

Sponsored Links
Yes I do own a soldering iron.
and I mess about with some pretty big
valves. Soldering a relay on a pcb is not an issue for me, but it should be made doable by all gas fitters, only the manufacturers can make that achievable.

For this one I provided the power supply (so heavy it had to be wheeled in on a sack barrow) and Nick the output stage. We got 60 watts single ended out of GM70's they were really good. I'm the one in blue nelt down at the back the hairy one is Nick G, he's a great guy but not fashion conscious. From memory we were using about 2,000volts B+ valves were dissipating 300 watts each or so, way past their rating but they can take a hammering, unlike solid state devices which are basically fast blow fuses. GM70 SE amp If boiler control circuits were valve based they would be a lot more reliable.

Water Systems said:
nickso said:
i quite liked the grundfos 2 pump system......cant remember if it had a fancy name or not.....only seen it twice though.

The early Potterton Neatheats had a standard plug-in relay in them. I had one in a bathroom cupboard. I was shaving once and heard a chattering from the boiler, I knew what it was. I opened the cupboard, pulled off the control cover (I never kept the screw in it) and saw the relay was arching and was shot. I went into the hall and pulled out the cupboard a spare relay. I just pulled the old out and the new in. Took all of 3 minutes with cream on my face, and continued shaving after. The quickest complaint, diagnosis and repair ever. How was that for service?

wow...you must be the arnold swarzenegger of the boiler world :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
nickso said:
Water Systems said:
nickso said:

wow...you must be the arnold swarzenegger of the boiler world :rolleyes:

I clearly am. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back