Is my plumbers advice correct- Faulty Central Heating System

You rarely manage to have a discussion with posters, you only manage to dissect posts in an attempt to ridicule to prove your opinionated point.

Happy Christmas! Bah! Humbug!

Sponsored Links
Just a reminder - it was you who said you don't bear a grudge; the evidence seems to be to the contrary. This topic wasn't about me until you started posting.

The truth is, most of my posts aren't based on opinion, but on experience and fact, so I have no need to ridicule. Whenever I give my opinion I make it clear that it's merely that.

Merry Christmas to you too oilman.

I'm surprised you use the word "evidence" so casually, what with your incisive legal mind and all....

If you have no need to ridicule, why do you reply to posts in a way that do just that? There are ways to point out differences and earn respect. You will know I am not the first to suggest your style could be improved/modified.

Softus wrote
The fact that you chose to quote only ¼ of the MIs, thereby creating the false impression that no harm can come from leaving X400 in the system for ever.
You could have put forward the argument that Crystal’s post is misleading on that basis, but not that ”Crystal is trying to mislead”. You would have to know Crystal’s mind to sustain such an argument.

Softus wrote
He never said that he forgot - this is another misrepresentation of the truth.

mike.braund wrote

As mentioned in one of my posts, the x400 was put into the system.
Weather got warmer, forgot about the problems over the summer, and have been too busy to revisit the problem….Must remember to drain down & put some inhibitor in.....

Softus wrote
You’re on a roll
ad hominem comment is invariably used to mask flawed argument.

Softus wrote

And Crystal didn't quote a full sentence, merely a ½ sentence.

From Sentinel literature

... longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe.
There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.
Rapid cleaning may be carried out if Sentinel X400 is used in conjunction with a power flushing device...
You will find that a full sentence was quoted.

As my intention was to indicate to the OP that things may not be as bad as has been portrayed here (and not to engage in pedantry) I see no point in commenting further.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
If you have no need to ridicule, why do you reply to posts in a way that do just that?
It's a personality flaw. I'm not perfect.

There are ways to point out differences and earn respect. You will know I am not the first to suggest your style could be improved/modified.
Oh I think you might well have been the first, but I guess you're saying that you're not the only one, in which case you're utterly correct. And as weird as it might be, another flaw is that I'm not trying to earn respect.

Crystal said:
Softus said:
The fact that you chose to quote only ¼ of the MIs, thereby creating the false impression that no harm can come from leaving X400 in the system for ever.
You could have put forward the argument that Crystal’s post is misleading on that basis, but not that ”Crystal is trying to mislead”. You would have to know Crystal’s mind to sustain such an argument.
I agree. I also agree that there's an element of doubt, but the balance of probabilities is that you chose the quoted words with a degree of care. Since you were trying to counter the points made by numerous others, then you were trying to create a particular impression. Since the words you chose with care were not a complete picture, then the effect of that choice was to mislead. This was no accident, therefore it was deliberate, albeit probably a mostly subconscious act, but nonetheless you were trying to mislead.

Crystal said:
Softus said:
He never said that he forgot - this is another misrepresentation of the truth.
mike.braund said:
As mentioned in one of my posts, the x400 was put into the system.
Weather got warmer, forgot about the problems over the summer, and have been too busy to revisit the problem….Must remember to drain down & put some inhibitor in.....
You can ignore the nuance of this if you wish, but I observe that he's letting himself off the hook by using "I forgot", since his subsequent excuse is one of being "too busy", so he clearly 'remembered' again after the summer and still failed to drain down. Finally, "Must remember" is a clear indication that he had no intention of doing it soon, despite having now 'remembered'.

Softus said:
You’re on a roll
ad hominem comment is invariably used to mask flawed argument.
I agree, but I haven't used it. Perhaps oilman has though. :evil:

I've agreed with you when you're right and disagreed when you're wrong. In the comment that you mistakenly class as ad hominem I simply observed that your claim that he forgot was a second instance of misrepresentation, and implied that I now expect a hat trick. ;)

Softus said:
And Crystal didn't quote a full sentence, merely a ½ sentence.
From Sentinel literature

... longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe.
There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.
Rapid cleaning may be carried out if Sentinel X400 is used in conjunction with a power flushing device...
You will find that a full sentence was quoted.
I would have been prepared to accept that there are two versions of the literature, and in that in your version the sentence ended at the word "system". However, perhaps you'd explain what the dots in the following text meant?

Crystal said:
There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system...
_______

As my intention was to indicate to the OP that things may not be as bad as has been portrayed here (and not to engage in pedantry) I see no point in commenting further.
This is the clearest indication of all. You are wrong about the probability that things are not as bad as people are making out. And even if you were right, the more responsible approach would be to urge the OP to act if merely to discover how advanced the corrosion has become, not to post a glib one-liner from the MIs that in no way covered the full extent of the directions regarding the time to leave X400 in the system.

I bet you don't talk like this, because if you did, nobody'd listen. :rolleyes:

Well this is a lot of fun !

I leave you guys alone for five minutes, and come back to find total war has broken out!

Taking the risk of re-igniting the war, i just thought you guys might like to know that the x400 is now eradicated, and replaced with inhibitor, and no leaks to date.

Rest assured, should any part of the sytem resemble a sieve in the future, you will be the first to know.

Happy xmas all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back