Wall painting- some advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any advise on my issue would be most welcome:

I have just started to decorate our hallway and after removing the previous owners wallpaper have come up with this problem. After removing the old wallpaper there appears to be the remains of some sort of heavy-duty paste that I think the previous owner had used to hang the wallpaper. It nearly impossible to remove without great effort and can take an hour or two to remove the paste from a couple of square feet. We have tried some paint samples on the affected areas and the paint did not dry correctly and looked horrible. We have tried using sugar soap, washing power and washing up liquid as well as plenty of elbow grease, all to no avail. I was wondering if anyone is aware of an industrial product or tip on what they have used in the past so we can get our walls ready for painting.

Best wishes
Mark
:D

Sponsored Links
It might be worth yur while thinking about lining paper mate, by the time you get all the gunk off the walls they are going to be wrecked and will need untold making good

Have you tried really hot water...boiling?...

Worth a shot as hot water softens up substances quicker that most things on the market.

Handle with care though

Like Zampa says, really hot soapy water, it does the trick for me, failing that, get a stripper/steamer, and when its really hot and on a roll, place that on the paste residue, leave for a few seconds, then get your scraper and scrape down on the residue, it will get it off.
Both these ways always work for me, and I have stripped lots of different papers, but if for some reason it still doesnt work, then your bet bet is to line.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back