Filler and paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie here so please be gentle..
I'm living in rented accomodation and I've put a dent in my wall with a ladder. Its about the size of a 50p piece and I'm assuming that its plasterboard that I've dented and I need to repair it before my landlord sees it. I know that I'll have to paint over it to hide the repair work. Any tips or ideas?
Thanks a million.

Sponsored Links
Your landlord should expect wear & tear, you could make a bigger mess by trying to hide it.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I know that I could make it worse but my landlord is not very reasonable :(. I know that we will lose part of our deposit when he sees it. Is it still wear and tear if the cause was accidental? How would you repair the damage if you were to tackle it?
It is on a out shoot of wall in the hall, the part the damage is on is about 3 inches wide so if I were to repaint it I would only have to repaint that section of the wall. The colour is an off-white shade.
Cheers again.

Most people use polyfilla or similar. Put it on with a wide-bladed filling knife that will span the dent so you can press the blade firmly on the level surface around it to get a flat finish (think windscreen-wiper).

You will have to wash down and repaint the entire section of wall otherwise the new paint will stand out. I suppose you could just try dirtying the new bit ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, I'll grab some polyfilla and some paint this evening. I'm not sure the exact shade of paint to use though, any ideas how I can best match it? would a photo help?
Also, any idea how to make the wall section a bit grubby to match the surrounding wall?
Cheers.

You can get a sample chart at the paint shop. Clean a small patch of old paint to see its true colour. make sure you get silk or matt whatever the old one is.

If a rented house, it will very likely be magnolia, or one of the "Shades of" white (Almond White, Barley White, Rose White, Peach White, Bluebell White etc.). You may need a woman to match the colour. Men only see six colours.

Thats great, thanks a million for your help, B&Q here i come.

gcol said:
JohnD said:
You may need a woman to match the colour. Men only see six colours.
:LOL: :LOL:

If your landlord's a woman.....the colour could be Oatmeal. :LOL:
Definitely not Terracotta in this instance.

Growler said:
If your landlord's a woman.....the colour could be Oatmeal. :LOL:
Definitely not Terracotta in this instance.
You mean white, not red?

Actualy men have better colour vision than women, & particulary in differentiating shades. That's why they make better dentists when dealing with cosmetic restorations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back