Under Pressure! From the Combi!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my CH not operating for several hours, say, overnight, the operating pressure drops to zero and won't function unless I top the system up from the tap. It, then, seems to run fine until the next time. I have done this procedure some 10 times now. There are no obvious system leaks as far as I can see and all the radiators are bled. The hot water seems to create more pressure in the system and seems uneffected.

Appreciate any advice, or is this an engineer call out prob.?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When system is cold put pressure to about 1 bar & then switch on htg. After about 10 mins observe pressure gauge if it is going very high your pressure is being lost out of prv so exp vessel will need pumping up

What the make and model of combi, sometimes this is relevant, sometimes not when this sort of thing happens, but its always useful to know what we are dealing with.

Alfredo

weareleeds said:
When system is cold put pressure to about 1 bar & then switch on htg.After about 10 misn observe pressure guage if it is going very high your pressure is being lost out of prv so exp vessel will need pumping up

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Alfredo said:
What the make and model of combi, sometimes this is relevant, sometimes not when this sort of thing happens, but its always useful to know what we are dealing with.

Alfredo

Boiler is Baxi 105E.

Thanks

m.900 said:
Hi, did you sort out the problem as I am having exactly the same on my baxi 80 eco.

Not tried suggestion of cranking pressure up to 1 whilst cold, then running for 10 mins, yet. To see if prob with press relief valve. Has been suggested a system leak may occur there. Busy browsing useful FAQs. Let you know if sort it.

System seems to work ok thro day. Just gradual topping up seems to sort it. Or do I need to look at PRV or EXP. My main concern is I have a system leak I don't know about! Can't get 2 PRV??!!

I hate these uncertainties!

HELP!

Novice

System seems to work ok. JUst gradual topping

weareleeds said:
When system is cold put pressure to about 1 bar & then switch on htg.After about 10 misn observe pressure guage if it is going very high your pressure is being lost out of prv so exp vessel will need pumping up

Tried that Wlds. Pressure didn't go up. Fine. System operating fine. Only goes down (pressure) if left for long time. (Quite slowly).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

jspireite said:
Only goes down (pressure) if left for long time. (Quite slowly).
You have a leak.

In case the FAQs don't mention it, strap a plastic bag under the end of the PRV exit tube (outside) until the pressure drops. It if collects water then the leak is caused by a faulty PRV, which you can replace.

Wherever the leak is you need to find it, not just top up every time you need to use the central heating, otherwise the system will corrode quite quickly and cost you a lot of unnecessary money in the long term.

jspireite said:
m.900 said:
Hi, did you sort out the problem as I am having exactly the same on my baxi 80 eco.

Not tried suggestion of cranking pressure up to 1 whilst cold, then running for 10 mins, yet. To see if prob with press relief valve. Has been suggested a system leak may occur there. Busy browsing useful FAQs. Let you know if sort it.

Go to FAQ They tell you hoe to access PVV.

System seems to work ok thro day. Just gradual topping up seems to sort it. Or do I need to look at PRV or EXP. My main concern is I have a system leak I don't know about! Can't get 2 PRV??!!

I hate these uncertainties!

HELP!

Novice

System seems to work ok. JUst gradual topping

Softus said:
jspireite said:
Only goes down (pressure) if left for long time. (Quite slowly).
You have a leak.

In case the FAQs don't mention it, strap a plastic bag under the end of the PRV exit tube (outside) until the pressure drops. It if collects water then the leak is caused by a faulty PRV, which you can replace.

Wherever the leak is you need to find it, not just top up every time you need to use the central heating, otherwise the system will corrode quite quickly and cost you a lot of unnecessary money in the long term.

Done that. No noticeable water.

Pressure loss only very slight now. Is this common with PRV leak?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back