IDEAL(NOT) BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal C80FF gas boiler which works for the Central Heating but cuts out about 20 seconds after a hot tap is run. I have had an engineer look at it but he could not diagnose the problem as I have no manual for it. (Have been onto the Ideal website and phoned them but they didn't recognise the Model number)
Also for some reason the pressure climbs from 1 bar to about 3 bar over a period of time. I also hear "gurgling noises when the system first starts up, which I normally have to press the reset button for.

Is this a matter of having to replace the boiler - if so what's the best to replace it with.

Sponsored Links
Guessing by your model number this is the Ideal classic combi, which was not a purpose designed boiler more a made up from bits avialable.. Your pressure rise could be filling loop passing but on these boilers the braided hoses that attach to the pressure vessel on top of boiler where very prone to blocking up with gunge . As for hot water cutting off after short while this could be caused by a blocked calorifier (grey thing on top of boiler) also common fault on this boiler. From memory there is also 2or3 stats on top of boiler an these do play up as well.... recheck model number an GC number it will start wit 47.. And contact ideal again for instructions, as there is not many of these about an there is good chance people you call out will not have seen one.

They did do a C80ff, also sold some through Wickes. 47-348-05
Have a manual.
Not one I know, looks pretty standard, plate heat exchanger etc.
Clogged h/ex and normal filling loop/exp vessel problems by the sound of it.

ChrisR... They where made with same calorifier as ideal sprints, grey cannister type have never saw one with a plate heat ex... In reponse to Agile comments below i am taking it that it is the ideal classic combi about 15 years old........ Apologies ChrisR you are right i have gave info for wrong boiler and it was also made for wickes just checked on parts arena ..... Gibson part number you need for an instruction book is 170814

Sponsored Links
It seems that all of you are not familiar with this model.

Unless I have made a mistake as well it was made for them by Biasi and is rather similar to the Savio model with a front cover which exposes the right hand side just like the early Radiants. I maintain a couple.

They are a perfectly straightforward boiler and have no particular problems. may be a blocked plate HE.

If I also remember correctly the Ideal Classic combi was a real bastard of a design with the water bits at the top so that any leaks drenched the rest of the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back