NEW KITCHEN SINK & TAPS = REDUCED HOT WATER FLOW

Softus said:
nickso said:
do it right from the start in an easy and accessible fashion and less problems may be encountered in the future
You're a man after my own heart, nickso (assuming that you're a man). :)

we all know what its like to banging your head on a wall late friday afternoon asking yourself why on earth the previous guy thought it would be great to use that fitting or put that pipe that way.

the answer is usually because hes too lazy to do it right or the customer asked him to do some crazy stuff and he agreed instead of insisting on the right way. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There IS no answer :eek: I fitted a basin mixer that stated it was suitable for all pressures .........after telling the householder what I thought of most "modern" taps and guess what :LOL: .........the statement wasn`t worth the paper it was written on..........and guess what too.........every joint I touched had been leaking for years/months :evil: even soldered ones on the heating .............so I declined to fit a towel rail they`d supplied and Walked Away :eek: Ironicaly it was in a village where I used to live .........but I got a warm feeling as I drove past a house that I`d re guttered 34 years ago ..........still neat :LOL: :LOL: and no fascia to that one ....I had special clips made up @ the time ;) think I was on £1.50 an hour then.........

Excuse my ignorance, and yes I'm back myself and my husband have had flu all over christmas and still are not fully recovered. So excuse my ignorance NICKSO but WHAT IS 'OP'. Also if you are getting sick of my attitude maybe I'm gettin a bit fed up with your obvious solutions. I mean a monkey could tell you to jib the taps and buy some more but then that would be too simple an answer. My problem is the taps and amount of water coming from the hot tap. I do fully understand that they are not good old British taps and that the tiny flexipipe that goes into them reduces the amount of water getting through them, then we have the quarter turn tap itself which obviously only turns 'a quarter' of the way that a 'normal' tap would. Now I just thought someone else may have encountered this problem and found a solution but, as I am the only person on this earth to have this problem then looks like my luck is up. I thank everyone for all their other suggestions which did not include purchasing new taps at least they have put a bit of thought into it. And, as promised I will be taking a pic of under the sink and posting it on here, I dont know if you lot will get to see it as I requested pictures to be pasted into my very first post but for some reason they did not appear. Apparently this site does not yet have the facility to copy and paste so you have to email you pic to them and they stick in your post for you. This I did do, but as you can see those two pictures never did appear on here. I'm not one to give in though so will try again. Oh just before I go MERRY CHRISTMAS Nickso. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

and still you are not listening :rolleyes:

a prime example of the dumb customer who wont listen no matter how obvious the solution is......

you have been given a number of options.

it does not matter that they are not "good old british taps"

it does not matter that it only turns a 1/4 if it opens to the full bore of the supplying pipe.

you are not the only person to have this problem....you are however the only person not to be listening to sound advice from many people.

the monkey may be right when he tells you to change the taps.

merry christmas to yourself.......filled the basin to wash the dishes yet?

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD, will have a go, surprised nickso is still awake, but is he? He seems to repeat himself more than a parrot, in fact he is a parrot. He copies what everyone else says and then keeps repeating it. :cool:

I can hardly believe that it's been a week and you still haven't managed to post a picture. Not that it's worth doing anyway because you have the wrong taps for your plumbing system.

Or, you could take the view that you have the wrong plumbing system for your taps.

Guess which one is cheaper to replace. :rolleyes:

Nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice said:
Thanks JohnD, will have a go, surprised nickso is still awake, but is he? He seems to repeat himself more than a parrot, in fact he is a parrot. He copies what everyone else says and then keeps repeating it. :cool:

are you reading the same topic as me?? what am i repeating from other peoples opinion?

lets see how much further this topic goes now that we have exhausted all options.

cant wait for the pics by the way...please become computer literate soon

Don't worry nickso - this one appears to be barking crazy mad bonkers.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I`m going to copy this and give it to a M8 @ a plumbers shop .........customers, who needs them :LOL:

Softus said:
TicklyT said:
Can the small bore flexible tail be replaced with larger bore copper pipework?
Who are you asking? The OP is not a plumber.

There may be enough space on the base of the tap to fit, something like a 1/8 BSP nipple bored out to about 8 or 9mm and hard soldered onto a reducer and onto 15mm pipe, so the length of the restriction is reduced to maybe a couple of inches. Some taps have this type of adaptor fitted as standard instead of more restrictive flexible tails.
There might be, and there might not be. Do you know that this will cure the problem, or is this the suck-it-and-see method of plumbing? :rolleyes:
Softus, I have done this myself. The new kitchen sink tap we had installed was supposed to be suitable for pressures from 0.5 Bar, and our vented system has about a 5 1/2 Metre head. I used a tapered copper tail salvaged from the old kitchen tap to replace the small-bore flexi. Fortunately the fitting was the same at the tap end, and it did increase the flow considerably over the flow through the flexi provided with the new tap. The flow is still not brilliant, but it is adequate now.

TicklyT said:
I have done this myself.
I was never in any doubt about that. :rolleyes:

Has the OP measured the flow rate at the supply end of the flexible tail?

No.

Have you measured it?

No.

So your solution is a guess. Some guesses are right, and some are wrong.

Good luck with trying to talk the OP through implementing your suggestion - it takes her two weeks to get a digital image onto the forum. Correction: to not get an image onto the forum...

Its ok the tap manufacture's stating .5 bar taps . i fitted a DEVA VISION last week at home expecting poor flow on a .5 bar rating with 15mm rigid tails on.7 bar head. Yeap its not as good as the bristan mono mixer wife was fed up with but its just about bearable. looks nice though.

Sing to the tune of "ere we go".............bristan mono, bristan mono, ad nauseam :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back