Painting on fresh plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the attic plastered, it has completley dried out. What is the correct procedure on painting ?
she bought pva glue and said i need to put that on first, why would i want to put pva glue on the walls, also have crown white silk emulsion.

Sponsored Links
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!....

DONT USE THE PVA!

Its an old wifes tale...

Get yourself some trade quality matt emulsion...

Give the walls a scrape over with a stripping knife...DONT RUB THEM DOWN AT THIS STAGE YOU;L SCRATCH THE WALLS TO BITS

Thin it out by about 30%

Paint the walls...

Check for bits, nibs etc......do any filling that ma need doing (plasterers are like goalkeepers...they hate corners!...so check them) sand the whole wall down with 80/grade aluminium oxide paper..(the green/yellow/white stuff)

Thin the next coat by about 15-20% and apply...

Again aother very light rub down

Thin the final coat by about 15%...paint it on

Stand back and admire....

I would go for matt instead of silk...silk or anything with a sheen will highlight every single indentation or uneveness in the new plaster.

As its only a skim coat you can use non vinyl or vinyl matt

thanks for the reply, pva going back to b+q :D
the plaster is very smooth, in fairness the plasterer done a good job. We chose silk as we can wipe it down, my son is staying up there + his friends, handmarks on matt you cant wipe. Do i just use the same instructions as above whilst using silk?

Use matt for the mist..then two silks...thin them a little but not as much, silk is a poor coverer

Good luck

Sponsored Links
just done the first coat, started to get hard as got darker. im planning to give one more coat with matt, and the final coat in silk.
wooden beams in the loft are a bloody nightmare to paint round :mad:

Id go for one matt two silks...the silk can soak into the matt causing a patchy sheen

Zampa said:
Id go for one matt two silks...the silk can soak into the matt causing a patchy sheen

done that, finished my second coat :D , last coat tommorow :LOL:

skirtings next and also we have some sliding mdf cupboard doors on a track, what type of paint is it best to use on mdf?

cheers

Well, you can get MDF primer..but ive found normal acrylic thinned down a bit does the job...

Or...thinned out oil based undercoat..

Rub down between each coat lightly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back