ceiling crack repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed three layers of paper from a ceiling fully expecting it to be badly cracked. I was correct but what i can not find on this site is what to do next.

I think i have three options and realise that without seeing the room in person you can not say which is the best but;

1) Reskim, my worry with this is that the cracks will come through after a short period

2) reboard and skim - the attic was converted by the previous owner and would prob. have been strengthened so should be strong enough but this might be costly and might be the last resort.

3) repair the cracks - there are numerous cracks of varying sizes. I read here that calk can be used, on a previous project the caulk shrank and i worry that the same might happen on the ceiling. I remember my dad used to scrape the crack to widen it and then fill it with filler. He is no longer around to consult, has anyone else used this method and are there any guides as to how to do this.

Lastly, not sure if this is allowed but can anyone recomend a plasterer in the Wakefield area (I have only just moved here and none of my old contacts work here).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Reskim, my worry with this is that the cracks will come through after a short period

no.
2) reboard and skim - the attic was converted by the previous owner and would prob. have been strengthened so should be strong enough but this might be costly and might be the last resort.

definately, yes.
3) repair the cracks - there are numerous cracks of varying sizes. I read here that calk can be used, on a previous project the caulk shrank and i worry that the same might happen on the ceiling. I remember my dad used to scrape the crack to widen it and then fill it with filler. He is no longer around to consult, has anyone else used this method and are there any guides as to how to do this.

no.
Lastly, not sure if this is allowed but can anyone recomend a plasterer in the Wakefield area (I have only just moved here and none of my old contacts work here).

not got a clue.

Depending on the size and type of cracks really..id get a dekkie round to have a look too, he may be about to line them with linen backed paper then use 100 grade...or a blown vinyl if you like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back