New Outside Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I've searched through the forums before posting and have seen the details regarding water regs and double check valves etc however, I can't find an exact answer to my question....

My kitchen and rising main is on one side of the house and I want to put an outside tap on the other side of the house.

Therefore, what is the best way to get the supply to the other side. I have concrete floors internal so don't want to dig up through the house and have concrete paths to the outside so don't want to dig those up. Therefore, can I run a pipe (I'm assuming plastic) round the side of the outside or am I opening myself up for trouble in freezing weather?

Maybe the easiest thing is to put the tap on the kitchen side and just get a longer hose so it reaches to the other side?

Grateful for any tips and advice.

Sponsored Links
TheMrX said:
Therefore, can I run a pipe (I'm assuming plastic) round the side of the outside or am I opening myself up for trouble in freezing weather?
Hm. Pros and cons.

Since you'd be shutting off the supply to the tap in winter anyway, having the pipework outside is not as bad as you might think.

Personally I'd use copper outside, for rigidity, because whatever you do with plastic it will tend to sag in the summer and look unsightly.

As long as you install a shut-off valve inside the house then you can empty the tap and the pipework before it freezes in the winter.

Is there no way to run the pipework inside the house and emerge at the point where you want the tap?

Thanks for the advice Softus.

I think maybe a pro plumber could run a pipe up into the loft and down the other side but for a DIY'er like me it's a bit too much work.

So unless anyone else has any ideas it sounds like the copper pipe solution is best.

Cheers

what ever you do, run the pipe to the tp with a slight fall.

when its winter and you turn it off indoors, you can then open the new tap to drain it (and it will) if its level it may not empty 100%

Sponsored Links
TheMrX said:
Hello

Maybe the easiest thing is to put the tap on the kitchen side and just get a longer hose so it reaches to the other side?

Yes, at the risk of doing someone out of a job, I would agree this is a most sensible solution. Have a look at the Hozelock wall mounted fast reel, £70 at homebase. They have 40metres of hose and are very easy to wind back. I just got my parents one for xmas. Don't get one of the auto retractable reels as they are nothing but trouble - have habit of retracting the hose as you are trying to wash down the car :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back