halstead fg hw no ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my brother inlaws had probs with is rads, warm at bottom cold at top, so decided to bleed them with out turning the combi off. the system is sealed halstead finest gold combi with 4 rads up and three rads down the combi is also upstairs.since then he only gets hot water and no heating. the burner comes on when u switch it on then, switches off after a few seconds. i have re bled the system for him a number of times, even checked the pump is free and it is, from wot he tells me there can,t be a grate deal wrong with it as it was workin before he tried to bleed it. can any body give me any advise on this problem as i am trying to help him as much as i can. thx

Sponsored Links
Pressure will be low - needs filling through internal filling loop. Instructions are on H's web site.

could it be an airlock in the pipe work,if so is it worth me draining the system and refilling, anybody got any possible causes or remedies

Sponsored Links
Yes it could be full of air and overheating but not familiar with the model. I would try and crack a joint hi up, check the auto air vent isn't blocked, change as necessary, bleed pump, cycle between heating and hot water just try everything to get it working again.

cheers for that paul,

is it worth me draining the system completely and starting from scratch would this solve the problem and if so whats the best way to drain and refill a sealed system

I doubt it.

Open drain cock with hose attached, starting upstirs open rad vents as you can until you are able to downstairs, leave them all open.

When filling if you have some assistance try and keep a few open for a while, let some water in then stop let it settle and listen for air venting, restart, bleed all rads ensure you can hear air vent in boiler operating, as you stop the fill it allows air to escape then start again.

In other words use your senses, hard when idiot aprentices are talking to stupid customers I know but listen hard throught their idle tittle tattle and you can tell what is going on in the system.

cheers for that paul ya lost me a bit towards the end there mate but i am thankful for any advice.

The last thing I'd do is drain the system when you obviously can't easily vent the air out!

Losing CH but not HW in that way isn't a common fault afaik, but intermittent circuit boards can do similar things on a hfg.

You need to feel around the pipes, when you've worked out what goes where, to see if it's turning off because it's hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back