Glow worm Fuelsaver 25-30B burner not igniting - poss electr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Glow Worm Fuelsaver 25-30B gas boiler which I use for my heating and hot water. I woke up this morning to find the house freezing. The thermostat was on and was indicating that the heating was on.

I looked at the boiler and saw that the pilot light was lit but the burners weren't. I cycled the pilot light just to be sure. I've switched the "heat" control from min to max and to off.

I first checked for any obstructions in the boiler that might have blown in during the windy weather and it's clear. I then started to check the electrical components. I checked the voltage of the two orange wires which come from the mains transformer via the heat switch. They were at 0 volts. Just for completeness I checked the resistance. With the heat switch set to Off, it was ~70 Ohms. With the heat switch set to max, about 22 Ohms.

I would have expected some voltage across these as I assume they control the gas flow solenoid. So I unscrewed the box which has the mains feed, transformer and heat control and put my volt meter across the Earth-Live-Neutral input screw block. Checking E-N and E-L got me 0 volts.

At this point I thought the main fuseboard must have popped for whichever circuit the boiler is wired to. I've checked the fuses visually (old ceramic and wire type) and they are ok. I'm going to go back and check with a continuity tester.

So, I'm pretty much stumped. I would have expected some mains voltage to be present on the screw blocks. I'm beginning to think that this isn't a fault with the boiler but an electrical issue. Any suggestions or comments please?

thanks for any help you can offer,
Tim

Sponsored Links
What type of clock/timer do u have .sounds as though thoug systems dead .you gota go back to the beginning & check the main 3amp fuse that protects the system. Fuse spur near clock or boiler maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back