Power Shower running cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, I have a power shower, 3 bar salamander twin pump, hot water storage tank & loft stored cold water tank. All just over 3 years old. Recently I'm finding that if my wife & two kids have a shower then the shower is running completely cold by the time it's my turn. Checking the hot water feed from the hot tank, the pipe is cold. OK, so they have used all the hot water. But no, because if I then climb into the bath & use the shower attachment from the hot & cold bath taps there is more than enough hot water (still scalding) for me to have a shower & afterwards I find that the pipe from the hot tank to the hot water supply is still very hot. I'm puzzled. Does anyone have any idea? Cheers Paul.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the pump is fed out of the cylinder lower down than the top outlet. maybe from an essex boss or a secondary circulation tapping. Quite normal instalation . 2 options get bigger cylinder or have ya shower 2nd.

thanks, bab. yes, the shower feed is about 1/3rd of the way down the hot tank. I'm surprised though that this alone accounts for no hot water to shower, but lots of hot water from the top pipe out.

The cylinder is fed from bottom to push hot out of the top. the water that comes out last isnt as hot as what was in the top of the cylinder to start with as hot water layers . a 1/3 down is a bit excessive though. is it from a manufactures tapping or a bodged in fitting. may be a secondary circ tapping. if it came out higher ucould empty the cylinder or put a time limit on the kids. I fitted a second cylinder just to feed the en-suit to avoid a cold shower,

Sponsored Links
I think that's a good arrangement. If the power shower sucked from the very top of the cylinder, your family would probably just have longer showers until it was all used up.

A cylinder will notionally (everything working perfectly, cold water at standard temp) go from cold to hot in 20mins, so you could shave/brush your teeth/cut your toenails while it heats up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back