How to get a neat finish with a mastic/silicone/caulk gun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When ever I use a mastic gun, I just can't seem to get a neat finish to the bead of mastic/silicon or what ever I am using.
I cut the nozzel at an angle. I've tried pushing the gun away from me/pulling the gun towards me as I form the bead.
I've tried using masking tape either side of the bead, then smoothing it with a wet teaspoon ( I just get a wide bead with a raised edge!).
I've tried forming raised curved beads and flatter concave beads.
Basically they always look rubbish.

So come on out there what is the correct technique?

Sponsored Links
its been mentioned before, try a search, i prfer a 2 p coin my self, others say wet finger

breezer said:
its been mentioned before, try a search, i prfer a 2 p coin my self, others say wet finger

yeah, looks great, a greenish line all the way down an enamel bath. :eek: ;)

Wet finger. Practise makes perfect. Don' t try to create a 'shelf', just a bead that sits in the gap. Ideal gap size is 2mm-3mm.

Sponsored Links
use it sparingly, apply a thin but generous bead, wet finger and run along silicone at a comfortable speed. Only do a comfortable distance at a time

Masking Tape :!: :!: and spit on your finger :mad: :LOL:.................go over it After you pull the tape .....Very Lightly to remove the raised edge ;)

I had a curved plastic tool I used ......yak ...yak ..lol...lol...lol ;)

Cut the end at an angle larger than 45 and hold the gun almost (BUT NOT) vertical with masking tape on the edges. Draw along at even pace pressing the trigger with moderate force and the line smooths itself and all goes fine.

That's what I do and it works well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back