Halstead Eden CBX 32

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having problems with hot water flow. Water runs hot for 30 secs then cold for 30secs and sometimes trips the boiler. Sensor was showing over heating boiler.

Had halstead engineer in this morning - changed PCB, checked pump but still not working. He thinks there is a blockage somewhere in the system however, have bled and checked all radiators and they get to varying temperatures but are not very regular.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Please can you give me a little more info so I can arm myself with info and ring engineer again (usefully halstead close at 12pm) or advise me if I can clean the heat exchanger. Many thanks

going by halsteads website it should be a doddle its at the front on the left

looks like a big sardine can ;)

having said that the boiler will need isolating and draining

if your not sure of what you are doing get someone in :cool:

Sponsored Links
I assume that this is an out of warranty boiler?

The symptoms are typical of a dirty secondary heat exchanger caused by not cleaning the system when the boiler was fitted.

The heating may just need balancing or may be somewhat sludged up. In the worst case it might need power flushing.

Tony

Thanks for your reply. The boiler is still in warranty. It was only fitted at the end of last year. The engineer is also suggesting that if halstead thinks it is because of a limescale build up in our hardwater area that the warranty won't cover that. Our plumber assures us the system was flushed when the boiler was fitted (and my husband saw him do that). Can't believe the engineer couldn't fix it when he came and had no parts with him either.

All the symptoms point to a blocked HE. This is not covered by the warranty as its the installers responsibility.

Did your husband really see the installer spend 3-5 hours with a large noisy pump and two bottles of chemicals???

I have seen a system where the installer spent a whole day with a proper power flushing pump and still managed to do it so badly that the boiler became blocked and the gland seals to leak.

He was honest and hardworking but just did not have the skills or know what chemicals to use.

Tony

Agile said:
All the symptoms point to a blocked HE. This is not covered by the warranty as its the installers responsibility.

That depends which manufacturer.

Ravenheat refused my uncle, but I heard of Vokera changing the first one but not again.

I have no orders from Alpha not to change them and I have one in stock for each model. I also have primary heat exchangers in stock and no instructions as to rationing either.

Recently changed the ev on a cd32c which it turned out that the pipe to it was sludged up, but having got that far I changed part anyway. Alpha ask no questions, they just want it fixed every time. To them the parts are relatively insignificant cost, especially when they have paid me to travel to Pately Bridge in the Dales to do the job, they don't want me to walk out muttering about bad install.

I must admit the one that is most likely to engender a walk out from me is the kitchen fitter job, but so far I've bitten my tongue and just got on with it. I don't half hate modern kitchens, their fitters and their customers, and it's real bad at this time of the year with all these tv adverts.

What ever is wrong with knowing what your appliance looks like?

Strictly I think you will find that none of the manufacturers will cover a blocked plate HE.

However, some like Worcester will change it once as a gesture of goodwill.

Heatline have a good arrangement. They change the HE once to get the boiler working again and explain the situation to the customer, suspend the warranty and ask the customer to get the system power flushed. When a receipt is provided for the power flush they reinstate the warranty.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back