Rotten plasterboard just above shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water has got in between the tiles (just above the shower tray) and the plasterboard behind it has crumbled away. Only the bottom three inches of plasterboard has rotted, the rest above it feels nicely intact.

I'm hoping the answer is not going to be to have to rip out the whole shower unit and tiles, replace all the plasterboard and start again.

Can I just replace the rotten piece of plasterboard, skim over it and retile the bottom layer, or are things really not that simple?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
things are never that simple :D
you can do as you suggest,but the same will happen again in time.
The thing you should be more worried about is where is the water going after contact with plaster board?Your shower needs tanking to protect boards ect...

thebunster
Hi :)
you wont like the answer but here goes ...
it needs IMHO the lot doing again properly , tanked an sorted
sorry but fact , damp will rise above tanked repair an tiles above *blow* off ...

i have the same problem as the bunster. But Moz could you explain what tanking is and how i would go about doing it please?

Sponsored Links
The availability of the tiles may swing your decision........When I`ve tiled anywhere I always left a box spare .....even 6x6 inch whites are different to each other :eek:

Thanks Nige
i managed to get the old tiles off intact and can re use them, but i think i will have to bodge the job as i cant re tile the whole shower its just too big a job, so i intend to cut out the old wet plasterboard and replace it with new plaster board or ive seen something in other threads called aqua board (does anyone know what this is?). if i leave say a 2mm gap between the new board and the old one will this stop any future capillery action? im very new to all this DIY stuf and don't want to bite off more than i can chew. also the house is only 5 years old so i dont know if the existing plasterboard is on battons or just stuck to the wall (you know what contractors are like!!) Any help would be appreciated as i am still waiting for the old board to dry out so wont be doing any more work till its dry

thanks for your help Moz you the man!! you certainly know your stuff after 18 years, i will coat the new plasterboard first this time and let you know how it went... have you heard of aquaboard? or could you suggest any other type of replacement for the old piece of plasterboard to save me getting deeper into this minefield... as up till now the biggest DIY job i've attempted is putting up toilet roll holders and toothbrush carriers!! but now i seem to be getting hooked on DIY this site is invaluable for help and advice.

thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back