Combi boiler flue location, help and advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently moved into a detached on the level bungalow and decided to put a combi in the loft, problem i have is where flue comes out the side of house is across from my neighbours upstairs top landing window, the houses are 7' 2" apart, and he was not happy at all, i told him i could have it relocated through the roof, but the problem is that this will be very expensive to do.

I really don't see that he can do anything if i just left it where is is legally?
As he was giving it "i'm going to call my lawyer".

What should i do?

Any advice will be appreciated.

ps. he is on the lookout for a smaller house so shouldn't be a neighbour for too much longer anyway

thanks

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it, some have plume diversion facilities. To avoid this scenario I would have fitted you an boiler with plume diverter or vertical flue. It is always best to consider the neighbours, if you had an easy going neighbour they could move out and you'd get someone who comes on here asking; "my neighbours flue blows steam straight through my upstairs window".

It musn't cause a nuicance.

Probably a band B so can't take a flue diverter. The band a Ideal's can take a plume diverter. Agile will be more familiar with the boiler. There is also likely to be a restrictive flue length, but you should be able to fit vertical flue. Another option is to move the boiler further up into the pitch of the roof and use the horisontal flue passing through a roof slate. This would be cheaper in flue parts, as a 1m or maybe 500mm extension a slate kit and maybe a flue support is all that's required. Check with Ideal as this style of flue position is not usually in manufacturers instructions. They may allow it if there is at least 300mm vertically between the pitch of the roof and the start of the flue terminal. The flue has to be extended to this point, and they may require it to be supported externally, in any case it must be very well secured just inside the roof.

Position of nearby other flues windows walls have a bearing and need expert perusal, but if it's just the pitch of your roof and nothing else about and no velux or dorma it is straight forward.

Sponsored Links
Look atthe brochure on the Ideal site.
It appears that you can't use a plume diverter kit on the 32, but I'd confirm that with Ideal, brochures can be wrong.

Does the flue go horizontally through a pitched roof or a gable wall?

Looks like you might have to spend a few hundred on a vertical flue though.

Yes its an ideal 32 mini, can't i just leave it, is it illegal?

Unless it was fitted within the last month then its NOT likely to be a condensing boiler. Can you quote the exact model number please?

As far as I am aware the regulation distance of 2.5 m to your boundary only applies to a condensing boiler. However, where ever its fitted it should not create a nuisence.

You have not explained how the flue is arranged at present. A vertical flue would normally be about £250 fitted if the roof is easily accessable by a normal ladder. Is that really too much to avoid disputes with neighbours which you would probably lose legally.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back