which is the most reliable boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I am having my old boiler replaced (choice between the Ideal Classic SE21 and Worcester Bosch 14/19 CBi), I trawled through most of the posts here abt the unfortunate problems folks have been having with their boilers, but I haven't come across even one concerning an Ideal boiler (or the above type of Worcester Bosch). Are these boilers really that good or is no one telling! Does anyone have an unbiased opinion between these two boilers - I obviously would like one that would give me years & years of blissful & untroubled operation!

Sponsored Links
ideal classic just about the most reliable trouble free boiler you can get. Been around for a number of years now .The optia range exclusive to plumbcentre is the exact same boiler just rebadged and a bit cheaper with a fixed price so priceyou see is the price you pay

Thanks. That was my feeling only I couldn't help being impressed with the Bosch name. Now I just need to convince my installer who is sold on the Worcester Bosch!

If anyone asks me, I would never recommend Ideal. We live on a new built (well, 6 years ago now) housing estate. All but 3 houses had Ideal Combi Boilers installed. Within the first year, all ideal boilers developed one or several minor faults, more of them over the next 2 years and now, year 6, everyone needs new boilers, as they are beyond repair (most of them developed hidden leaks inside and blew up eventually). Now we are 21 houses here. 3 Houses (they are bigger) had Vaillants installed. They didn't have a single problem since they moved in. 18 Ideal Boilers have now gone to the scrap heap....If that tells you anything.....

Sponsored Links
For reliability go for a 'copper brick' in the fireplace and a coal. Nothing to go wrong. You have coal so you have heat.

No modern boiler is made like a brick outhouse. They would appear to have finite life. If you think you are going to get 30 years from your high efficiency singing dancing aluminium heat exchanger condensing boiler with loads of fuel saving, you may well be disappointed.

Some may not agree with me, but major chunk of my work is boiler repairs and service- hardly ever fit boilers.

Some old boilers still running reliably are listed below. A lot of these will still be chugging along when proposed HF new toys are dead and gone. I label a boiler reliable that is 8 years and over (subject to regular service as per the manual) to run for twice that.

Vaillant T3
Vaillant VCW
Vokera Turbo
Vokera Flowmatic
Vokeras about 8 years old
Potterton Kingfisher
Potterton Prima
Gloworm

T3 can be 25 years old, VCW are about 15, Turbo (Flowmatic shares a lot of components with Turbo) can be around 18 years old.

For reliability go for a 'copper brick' in the fireplace and a coal. Nothing to go wrong. You have coal so you have heat.

No modern boiler is made like a brick outhouse. They would appear to have finite life. If you think you are going to get 30 years from your high efficiency singing dancing aluminium heat exchanger condensing boiler with loads of fuel saving, you may well be disappointed.

Some may not agree with me, but major chunk of my work is boiler repairs and service- hardly ever fit boilers.

Some old boilers still running reliably are listed below. A lot of these will still be chugging along when proposed HF new toys are dead and gone. I label a boiler reliable that is 8 years and over (subject to regular service as per the manual) to run for twice that.

Vaillant T3
Vaillant VCW
Vokera Turbo
Vokera Flowmatic
Vokeras about 8 years old
Potterton Kingfisher
Potterton Prima
Gloworm

IXBN dont be put off by Madpiano`s comment about Ideal Combi`s as this is completely different boiler and can be a complete pile of s##t . It amazes me how a manufacturer can get it so right with one boiler and so so wrong with an other.

Yea - if you want a reliable boiler, avoid combis. But if you must have one, DP's list is as good as any. The Ideal Classic is as described.

There's a boiler breaker near me who buys "removed" boilers for salvage, from local heating bods. If they're good he refurbishes them, so he knows his stuff. He reckons anything currently produced won't be worth repairing after 4 or 5 years. Maybe he's a bit cynical, but not good to hear, is it?

Ideal classic is a gem of a boiler, the fan will wear out in time but nothing else will.
Go for something simple I am running a potterton flamingo BF. It has required a new gas valve and a few thermocouples but not bad in 26 years.

I am getting my boiler replaced and have been suggested a Potterton Suprima L

one company quoted for a 60,000 btu
another go for an 80,000 btu

Q Are these any good?

(is that the ones mentioned above prima - or is that different??)

Q and is it better to go for the bigger btu one - or will that cause problems????

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. I agree with the general opinion - from all I've seen here combis are a swine and I wouldn't consider one unless I had no choice. namsag I think is right, the Ideal Classic is a different beast from it's combis cousins, I too have heard of problems with Ideal combis.

My boiler, thanks to warmer weather will be installed in early July. My installer's first choice is the Worcester Bosch 14/19 CBI or I can opt for the Ideal Classic SE18 for £184 + VAT more. I'd rather have the Ideal but I haven't heard anything nasty about the Bosch so I have a few weeks before I toss a coin.

For m8tte, I'm no expert and I don't want to damn the Potterton Suprema, but it is one boiler I wouldn't consider from the start but I cannot remember why......

lxbn - sorry i hijacked your thread a bit! ;) - I have started a new one

Pot suprema seems they have probs with boards

i just dont know what to get !!!

Potterton profile l seem better better

:confused:

IXBN. Dependent on where your installer has an account ask them to use the Optia boiler exclusive to plumbcentre as this is an Ideal classic with a different badge there is no difference except it about £60 cheaper.

namsag said:
IXBN. Dependent on where your installer has an account ask them to use the Optia boiler exclusive to plumbcentre as this is an Ideal classic with a different badge there is no difference except it about £60 cheaper.

My first attempt at entering this forum! It seems that the difference is more than just a different badge. On looking at the Optia brochure showing the view of the interior, it shows what appears to be the fan switch mounted at the top r/h side of the heat exchanger, whereas the 08/99 brochure from Carodon omits showing this position. It is possibly mounted on the fan assembly (or wherever)? Are we looking at an earlier model or a set-up purely manufactured for Plumbcentre. Eitherway, is there a Gas Council reference number for the Optima boiler and its associated components?
This number/s will be required for future spares reference. Plumbcentre operatives are at a loss as to what I am referring to. Do I buy an Optima or an Ideal Classic F.F., no matter what the model?

I obviously would like one that would give me years & years of blissful & untroubled operation!
Haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bonk, fell off me chair with that one, got anymore cough cough gasp gasp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back