Roof tiles make a knocking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK this is my first post, im sure there will be many to follow!

I live in a converted bungalow. Upstairs has flat roofs. However, when the wind blows the tiles on the sides of the rooms make a knocking sound.

Any idea why this is happening??

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
Need more info on type of roof, I'm guessing a gable end which have a undercleat which support the cement & the overhung of the tiles, missing cement maybe?

A photo will help us

Do you mean vertical tiles on the sides of the dormer?

If so they are not fixed properly

Sponsored Links
Hi, Yes I mean the virtical sides of the doormer. How would I fix them down properly? Is it as simple as some cement under them?

No, vertical tiles are not fixed with cement (or mortar!)

They should be nailed, and properly spaced so that the weight of the row above and the pressure of the tiles each side hole them all as one.

You need to look to see if they are all close togther and the vertical spacing is not too much. You should not be able to lift one up easily.

If it is a big problem with spacing then they will all require respacing and refixing. If it is just a few isolated, then try exterior grade Gripfill

Are you sure it's the tiles which are making the noise. ? is there nothing left on the flat roof :idea:
If the tiles are hung the way they should be and everyone nailed they shouldn't move unless it's a gale force wind :)
Clear silicone will do the trick as well. use it all the time ;)

Our house does the same thing too. A very annoying tile tap/knocking sound whenever there's a reasonable amount of wind.
I checked the obvious things like a loose tile, flashing etc (but the house is only 18mths old).
Eventually when up in the lost I realised it was wind pressure within the loft space doing it. You could see the air pressure pressing on the tile lining and the tiles themselves being slightly lifted causing the knocking sound.
So having found the problem, any idea on how to prevent it?
Should I get the tiles siliconed together (or at least in the area above the main bedroom).
Is it a design problem with the house (too much, too little eve venting)?
Any suggestions appreciated as it's getting like water torture waiting for the clicks and knocks

Our house does the same thing too. A very annoying tile tap/knocking sound whenever there's a reasonable amount of wind.
I checked the obvious things like a loose tile, flashing etc (but the house is only 18mths old).
Eventually when up in the lost I realised it was wind pressure within the loft space doing it. You could see the air pressure pressing on the tile lining and the tiles themselves being slightly lifted causing the knocking sound.
So having found the problem, any idea on how to prevent it?
Should I get the tiles siliconed together (or at least in the area above the main bedroom).
Is it a design problem with the house (too much, too little eve venting)?
Any suggestions appreciated as it's getting like water torture waiting for the clicks and knocks

Its because building inspectors are so anal when it comes to ventilation with new houses. Not only do you have to have breathable felt, copious amounts of channel venting along the soffit/above the fascia but also roof tile vents. My mates new build loft is like a wind tunnel :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back