CH but no HW?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, can anyhone help me here?

We've got an old(ish) gloworm boiler that's been fine. (and still is...) It's a standard open-vented system with a honeywell programmer with a separate control for heating and hot water.

When i press on for heating, it comes on fine as usual, but when I press for hot water the arrow on the LCD display points to on but the red LED light that normally comes on doesn't and the boiler doesn't fire up.

I'm guessing it could be the thermostat in the hot water cylinder, but would the red light not still come on? (the LED for the heating stays on even when you turn the room thermostat so low that the heating is actually off.) I've tried turning the temp control on the thermostat in the cylinder and no effect.

I think it's probably to do with the programmer? I did have the electricity off for something else the other day but I don't know why this would cause a problem- the programmer kept it's settings and I've since reset it anyway just in case with no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andy.

Sponsored Links
cheers for quick response Tony. Is there a way I can check if it's the programmer other than replacing it!?

Does the mains live simply connect to each of the on or off connections for the CH and HW, as the programmer determines? Does this mean I can simply connect the live in straight to the HW on terminal to test the rest of the system and ensure it's the programmer? (with power off obviously :!: I know what I'm doing with wiring, just not so much heating when i don't know how they're wired..)

Is it obvious which terminals are which and are there 6 in total (L,N, and 4 for each on & off for CH and HW) ?

Cheers
Andy.

PS the programmer is a grasslin towerchron QE2, not honeywell.. doh!

Use wires to connect the correct terminals on the programmer backplate??

The connections are online.

Sponsored Links
thanks chris,
you've just confirmed what i thought i could try and added to my last post just as you posted yours... will give it a go.

just connected directly on backplate and works great! away to buy a programmer.
thanks alot guys!

1 more question :?: - on the connection terminals on the wall plate, the live has been connected to the OFF terminal for CH and HW. Is this normal for all programmers/systems, or only for some? If the new propgrammer doesn't have this in the wiring diagram should I leave as is or should I remove the wire from L to OFF terminals on wall plate? Thanks, Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back