Plastic Plumbing and Solid Fuel

tiz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the views on using Plastic Plumbing with a Solid Fuel Boiler (excepting the first 1m from the boiler housing)?

If the heat sink circuit is a separate gravity-fed 22mm copper circuit to the DHW tank and a 3400BTU/hr radiator, should I use a Salamander HWS-TMV controller to protect the plastic piping.

Sponsored Links
Only the "older" people like DIA have much experience of solid fuel boilers.

My firm advice is that as these are uncontrolled then all pipework should always be in copper.

However, as its ( hopefully ) open vented then if you have good insurance then plastic pipe should meet the requirements as long as nothing gets blocked.

Tony

Again, thanks Agile.

It is open vented on the 22mm heat sink circuit.

I have spoken to Speedfit and they have said that their fittings are rated for use of solid fuel (excepting the first 1m), but I would also like to hear the views from all the "older" people out there.

Sponsored Links
I am a plastic lover :oops: I fitted a solid fuel stove for my brother about 6 years ago and did all the system in copper [microbore for the heating circuit] 3 years ago he had some alterations and I did alter some of the more remote rad pipes to plastic and have had no bother with them. Theres about 6 rads plus another as a heat sink
Speaking generally what I would do is only be brave enough to use plastic after the manifolds on the condition as stated by others that there is a gravity heat sink. I dont do many but would always fit a heat sink on a solid fuel system in any case.
I would also extend the recommended 1m to at least 2m on the flow and thereafter use as much copper as easiness allows.

For a system such as you describe I would just do the lot in copper rather than buy gadgets [something else to go wrong] to reduce the heat to the plastic for only one rad

Is 53 tomorrow old enough :LOL: I`d go for all copper because it`s solid fuel ...........wish I was younger then I`d have used more plastic and life would`ve been easy ;)

Based on SlugBaby's experience and a friend who has now owned up to using plastic plumbing on his solid fuel heating circuits for many years, my plan is as follows:
  • Retain the existing copper heat sink circuit to DHW, radiator and vent
  • Extend the heat sink circuit (using more copper) to a 2nd radiator
  • Use copper for at least the first 4m of the pumped flow (and return) up to the manifold

If I get any problems, I'll let you know. ;)

Its a pity that DIA has not commented as he says he has been on the game for 47 years ( although he hardly looks old enough! ).

Since coal was the main fuel in the 1950/60s I am not sure that 53 would be old enough! happy birthday tomorrow though Nigel.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back