Heating pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have two problems with my heating system which have started recently. Not sure if they are related. My boiler is a Baxi Combi 105e.

Firstly the pressure seems to vary tremendously. When the system is cold the pressure often goes below the minimum 0.5 bar. Then the boiler and radiators make gurgling noises when starting up. However if I top up the pressure, when the system gets hot it is going above the maximum and trickling out of the overflow valve.

Secondly the overflow valve seems to be leaking as it is dripping from the boiler instead of going out of the overflow pipe.

By the way I have checked that every radiator is full of water.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Sponsored Links
need a new expansion vessel probably

is it the instant version?

Yes it is the version that stores some quantity of hot water. So this looks like a call-out job then?

Alternatively put in an external exp vessel
at least 10lt

Its normally a boiler off the wall job (unless you've got a vertical/side flue)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses. A couple of further questions ...

I have read in other threads about a valve on the expansion vessel which you can use to check the pressure and inflate if necessary. However I cannot find such a thing on my boiler.

baxpoti, will adding an external expansion vessel work with my boiler? Does the hot water storage of this version affect things in any way?

Thanks again. I'm intrigued why this should have failed as my boiler is only three years old.

Any chance of a reply on this one?

Does anyone know if the expansion vessel on a 105e instant has a valve that
can be inflated (such as I have read about on other threads)?

And does anyone know if an external expansion vessel can be used with this boiler?

Thanks in advance!

The schreider valve on the expansion vessel is on the top of the boiler at the back

Remove the 4 screws and supporting bracket

With no system charge this should be around 1 bar

The rest of your questions have already been answered!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back