Bolier Location!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me the requirements for installing a combi boiler in a bathroom? What should the distance be from the bath etc? And can i fit a fcu for the boiler in the bathroom?
Thanx

Sponsored Links
Electrical zone 3 as long as it has IP rating.

Better to ask your electrician who will be fitting the new spur for it.

Tony

You have to check with Manufacturers. IPX4 fixed appliances can go in zone 2 but just like with gas rules electricary rules are dependent on Manufacturer's Instructions. Vokera state that although their appliances are IPX5 rated they must be beyond arms reach while you are in the bath. The man I spoke to at Vokera said this was because sooner or later the case won't be fitted properly and screws will be missing. I haven't checked with any other manufacturer.

I tend to put the boiler as high as possible and in zone 3 which is more than 600mm away from a bath or shower with the isolation high up above it so to touch it would be a deliberate action. All the pipework and the case of the boiler has to be bonded (using clamps with a blue or green strike or no strike at all) using 4mm bonding and taken to the protective conductor of the spur aswell as to any other electrical equipment in zones 1,2 or 3. (the size of the equipotential bonding conductor is open to debate, in a bathroom the onsite guide generally has it at 4mm, many people practice main equipotential bonding of heating pipes, if so it has to be in 10mm because that is the next size up from 1/2 of the main earthing conductor csa, which in turn is next size up from half the csa of the meter tails, non of these assumptions are fixed special situations need interpretation, and taken unbroken right to the main earth terminal. My interpretation of this small section of bs7671 is that this only applies if part of the central heating enters the dwelling from outside)

The X in the IPnn rating means they don't mind what the particle ingress protection qualities of the appliance are, they are only interested in the second figure which relates to protection from water ingress.

Against popular myth it is OK to have normal switches in bathrooms aslong as they are outside the zones. It is however custom and practice to use pull switches mostly. Best practice in your case would be a fused spur but unswitched, do the switching with a double pole pull switch, such as that used for an electric shower.

Because it is a secial location you have to be qualified, you have to do a minor works certificate and notify the job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back