Need to emulsion walls already painted with gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help here.

I've just moved into an old house & stripped off the aged wallpaper in the hall. I was hoping to paint directly onto the bare walls with a nice flat emulsion, however, now I've stripped the wallpaper it looks like the walls have been painted with some sort of horrible gloss paint (dark brown!!)

The walls, plaster and paint itself seem to be very sound (no sign of paint flaking otherwise I might have thought about scraping it off).

So.... I'm not sure how to go about painting over it. I guess it's too glossy to paint emulsion directly onto it, but what should I do to prepare the surface?

Sponsored Links
gbyng said:
So.... I'm not sure how to go about painting over it. I guess it's too glossy to paint emulsion directly onto it, but what should I do to prepare the surface?

HI. You can emulsion directly onto gloss but you need to give it all a real good abrading to dull the gloss all over, a sander is good, a face mask and plenty of elbow grease :( Or. You can go over it lightly to get rid of any defects/nibs etc and give it a coat of Zinsserr 123. which is ideal for priming glossy surfaces and leaves you with a nice surface for your emulsion.
http://www.zinsser.com/primerapps.asp
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11
good luck

That Zinsserr 123 stuff sounds good - Do they sell it here in the UK? Can't remember ever seeing it on the shelf before.

Go to decorators merchants for ir not DIY shops..its excellent stuff

If you cant get that, give the walls a good seeing to with the abrasive paper and a coat of acrylic primer undercoat first

Or...ordinary undercoat but make sure you allow it a good week to harden up nicely

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I'll have a look for that Zinsserr 123 - Trouble with 'excellent stuff' it usually costs a fortune. I've got my whole hall, stairs & landing to do :(

If it's really pricey I might try roughing it up, then priming / undercoating. Guess I can try a small area first - Any suggestions on a primer / undercoat to use? (sorry - I really am inexperienced).

Any acrylic primer undercoat will do..thin it out a little first though...same goes for oil based...thin that by about a quarter

Zinseer can be expensive..but you get what you pay for I spose...you could also use a product called dulux super grip...again, it doesnt come cheap

All down to your budget really

If things are tight goe for a thinned out (25%) coat of exterior masonry paint..its also full of acrylic...but get a decent brand not the home brand stuff.

You may even get a colour close to the one you want as a finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back