wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm generally a good diyer but this is my 1st attemp at wallpapering- it's hard innit!

I'm generally doing OK but I wanted to ask about the joins. I have a seam roller and someone told me to press really hard when rolling the seams, but if you do that the paper next to the seems bulges as the excess paste at the join gets pushed away from the join into the rest of the paper.

Also, the paper tends to need a good bit of stretching and pushing to get the edges to meet properly all the way down, but I guess this is normal?

I'm getting better results not bothering with the seam roller and just pushing the edges together. How should I be doing it and what's the best way to use the seam roller?

Also any other good tips on papering would be much appreciated!
thanks.

oh, I should say it's standard vinyl paper onto plasterboard walls (mainly with old silk emulsion, old paper been scraped off, some areas of paint flaked/scraped off and discovered it needs a bit more prep i think. need to redo some of what I've done as bits where the paint came off have shown through as bumps- anyone else out there not an expert- prep is everything!)

Sponsored Links
andy1020 said:
I have a seam roller and someone told me to press really hard when rolling the seams

That was bad advice ! Just roll gently.

andy1020 said:
Also, the paper tends to need a good bit of stretching and pushing to get the edges to meet properly all the way down, but I guess this is normal?

No, that's not normal, are you remembering to leave the paper for a few minutes after applying the paste to allow it to stretch?

andy1020 said:
I'm getting better results not bothering with the seam roller and just pushing the edges together. How should I be doing it and what's the best way to use the seam roller?

The seam roller should be used diagonally across the seam gently (well that's how I do it anyhow) When butting the strips of paper you should aim to have a very slight ridge, this flattens as the paper dries and make the seam tighter than would be otherwise achieved.

andy1020 said:
Also any other good tips on papering would be much appreciated!

If the wallpaper is coloured, get a crayon of a similar colour to the wall paper, then colour the ends of the roll of walpaper, this helps hide the seams as well.

Wallpaper away from the main window, so that any overlaps point towards the windows, eliminating any shadows.

Always keep the scissors seam rollers and brush clean and free of paste. Never use old paste. As you have found out preparation is key.

When papering window and door reveals, use the overlap and through cut method to achieve a good result.

Take your time, don't rush!

May tip is white emulsion the walls before you paper. If the paper has a lot of white in it, any dark walls will not show threw any gaps in the joins. And also the past will not sock strait into the wall stopping you from butting the paper more easily.

thanks guys, very helpful!
When butting the strips of paper you should aim to have a very slight ridge, this flattens as the paper dries and make the seam tighter than would be otherwise achieved.

does that mean almost a slight overlap? rather than meeting exactly?

on the paste- yes I've been leaving it to soak for 3-4mins then toping up the paste too to help it slide more easily.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
andy1020 said:
does that mean almost a slight overlap? rather than meeting exactly?

Not an overlap no, just butt the edges until a very slight ridge forms, this disappears as the wallpaper dries.

Cut a strip of wallpaper and hold it over the seam ..then use your seam roller over that...dont use it directly onto the finish paper

If you have to stretch the paper use a papering brush or roller sleeve...if you still have sits to deal with use the flat of your hand not your finger tips'''you'l rip the paper

Silk+vinyl paper=aggro!

Your having problems with the joints because there is no suction helping you hold the paper where its meant to be.

Stp now and line the rest of the walls...the extra practice wont hurt either

thanks folks, very helpful.

I think 1 problem might be due to a tip from my dad which was to leave the top & bottom edge unpasted to avoid getting paste on the ceiling etc and making a cut easier & rips less likely, then paste them on the wall.
Would this mean the top & bottom won't soak and stretch the same and will then cause problems trying to meet edges? but I guess if you cut long enough you can leave a bit at the very top edge unpasted simply for initial handling?

Yes, lining would be the thing to do, but I'm pushed for time with kids & work..(and I know it's hard learning to paper horizintally too...) Is 2nd best to sand the walls a bit and skim over the bits where paint/plaster has come away to make it smooth and then apply a layer of watered down paste to the wall? (The silk finish is more or less worn and it's more like matt with many areas of plasterboard & plaster showing through.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back