Radiator with 3 15mm pipes connected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a radiator in an attic room that is cracked and needs replacing. Seems straightforward enough except that in addition to the 2 usual pipes at the bottom of the rad there's an extra 15mm pipe connected to the top of the rad which seems to be connected to the bleed valve??
Do I need to find a rad with this connection or can I disconnect/cap and ignore this pipe/connection?

Many thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Maisie's dad said:
...there's an extra 15mm pipe connected to the top of the rad which seems to be connected to the bleed valve?
What does the other end of the pipe connect to?

Heres a guess but I reckon that the extra pipe could be a vent. Does it loop over the top of the F&E tank by any chance?
Most unorthodox and not in any plumbing book you could buy but I would say that it could reduce the risk of air sucking in through the vent.
If I am right it is best to replace like for like. If I am wrong it would probably be safest to replace like for like.

Perhaps it leads to a manual vent if the system is pressurised and you have no F&E tank in which case it could be done away with.

Maisie's dad said:
Hi there

I have a radiator in an attic room that is cracked and needs replacing. Seems straightforward enough except that in addition to the 2 usual pipes at the bottom of the rad there's an extra 15mm pipe connected to the top of the rad which seems to be connected to the bleed valve??

Stuart

An additional air vent, as stated by others Could it be/have been a connection to an automatic air vent? Very unorthodox, since it should not be required.

The additional vent, the attic location, and the fact that the radiator needs replacing suggests a history of problems with air getting into the system, pumping-over or similar You need to ensure that problem is ( or has been) sorted out as the first priority, since it will be causing corrosion throughout the system.

Sealed system (preferable) or F&E tank and, if an F&E tank where is it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys, there is definitely an f & e tank so I'll check to see if it does loop over.

Thanks again

Stuart

Dear Onetap and others who replied, many thanks again. I've had another look and on the other side of the stud wall is indeed an automatic vent (the type you normally see in the airing cupboard?). Do I need to replace this when I change the rad or can I do away with it?

Many thanks

Stuart

you need to investigate why it has a auto air vent it is masking a problem of air ingress which will keep making the radiators fail, i'd be looking at converting it to a pressurised sytem,your f+e tank is probabley not got a high enough head of water between rad in loft and tank

Duzzer said:
your f+e tank is probabley not got a high enough head of water between rad in loft and tank

And the reason it isn't high enough is because the Attic would have been converted some time after the heating system was put in. The F&E could well have also been re-sited (possibly to an even lower level... under the eves!) when the Attic was converted to free up space. Instead of converting to a sealed system, one simple way of solving the 'possible' Air Ingress problem is obviously to raise the F&E tank but even then the height may not be enough and is probably impractical given that the Attic is converted.

It may not be clear enough: an AAV will let air IN if the pressure in the system drops below atmospheric. In principle, with the F&E tank mounted ABOVE the rad AND the AAV, this should not happen. BUT the pump may reduce pressure in that area and air may get drawn in.
Why does the rad need replacing? Corrosion? If so, don't just replace it. Fix why it corroded too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back