Glowworm Hideaway - no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No hot water, but central heating OK - any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Motorised valve. OPen with lever on end to "man" position. put ch thermostat up, shut all the rads, water will get hot. OK I'm guessing with v little information.

Thanks - not sure i understand about the motorised valve - where is it and the lever?

Probably a box thing sitting on pipes,usually in airing cupd or near the boiler.
Box is about 3 x 3 x 5 inches. Most common one is silverish metal. If you have 2 then one is connected closer to the HW tank - thats's the one.

You may have a competely different system, or you may just need to turn your cylinder thrmostat up. We need more info on what you have.

Sponsored Links
Cannot find anything like that - my system is an indirect one/ the boiler is a glow-worm balanced flue hideaway 50. The boiler gets very hot, but no water is flowing up the pipe to the hot-water cylinder - at least the pipe from the boiler seems to be hot, but is cold on entry to the cylinder.

sounds very similar to my problem. I have posted a question a couple before yours. If you sort yours out I would be greatful for any info as it might help me.

likewise if I sort mine i'll let you know how.

I don't have any motorised vavles on mine as it is the Hideaway80 opejn flue

Hang on guys....
The motorised valves referred to are not 'on the boiler' and NOTHING to do with the flue!

They should be as described already, near the hot water cylinder.

If the heating is OFF (but works OK when it's ON), the hot water is cold and the boiler is still firing and getting hot, it sounds like you MIGHT have an old 'gravity' hot water system with air in the cylinder loop, or alternatively a fully-pumped system with serious wiring problems!

What size are the pipes coming from the boiler into the hot water cylinder?

" it sounds like you MIGHT have an old 'gravity' hot water system with air in the cylinder loop"

Indeed

I have a very simliar problem with mine, how do you clear the air lock??

I have tried removing the phial and letting the boiler overheat a couple of times, which seems to make the right sort of noises and let water flow.

But as soon as you let the boiler cool down and run normally it doesn't work again

if there is nit enough water in your top up tank in the roof space your gravity fed hot water loop to the cylinder will not flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back