Colour bleeding during overpainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to paint over some blue/yellow paint with white emulsion, and the old colour is bleeding into the new paint to the extent that the roller statrs turning yellow. Any tips on how to stabilise the old stuff so I can a clean finish? Thanks

Sponsored Links
How old is the house, and how old is the old paint? Is it very matt? Does the emulsion seem to bond to it well or does it flake off?

D-------r

Or did the previous occupants smoke cigarettes?

Yep...my thoughts too..underbound distemper maybe.

Thanks for the replies. The house is a 30s semi, but this paint is certainly newer than that, probably 5-10 years old. The previous occupants all smoked like chimneys, but I think I got most of that off with sugar soap (it's just one room where I'm having this problem). It was the teenage daughter's room and I wouldn't be surprised if she'd repainted the walls with watercolour tbh.
If it is distemper or similar, any tips?
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It wont be distemper..........and i think you have answered your own question

Probably poster paint.. the emusion that you have put over it may well have bound it down enough

If not you may need to give the walls a coat of stain block or something similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back