Question for gcol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gcol,
I've seen your posts on previous forums and would value your opinion.

I have replaced plasterboard walls in a bathroom with Stirling Board and am wanting to tile the walls. I have primed with PVA (1:5) and have flexible powdered adhesive and grout. Is this combination likely to be successful of unsuccessful in your opinion? If 'unsuccessful' what interim step would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
hello sdb5
what flexible powdered adhesive is it an does it recommend PVA as most do not ... Ardex, BAL and Nicobond say don't use PVA as the mud /adhesive can fail,or not even dry ..lol

Hi sdb5,
I'm confused as to why you've used Stirling board on the walls. Where did you get that idea from? I'm also confused as to why you've done all this work, have pva'd and are only now asking for advice. Cart and horse springs to mind.
You don't want Stirling board any where near moisture - your pva (water based) might have already weakened the surface of the boards.
Your best bet would be to replace the boards with Aquapanel or Wedi board, then tile as normal. You could tank the walls with a waterproof sealer before tiling if you like but it isn't essential unless your shower gets a heck of a lot of use.

gcol/Moz,
Thanks for replies.

Moz - Powdered adhesive was an oversight it's BAL Bluestar.

Stirling board - yes a strange 'choice' but it was a freebie! It's not being used in a shower area just internal walls. I think I will keep my fingers crossed that the PVA hasn't done any damage- it doesn't appear to have...

Ta

Sponsored Links
If you've already made up your mind to carry on as you intended, why did you even bother wasting our time in asking what you should do?

Gents...just a query on what you have been saying about sterling board...would OSM do instead?..

Just a question that came to mind..

I think you mean OSB zampa. And no you can't cause OSB is Sterling board. Same stuff, just refered to as one or the other.

gcol,
Sorry no offence meant.
But your response expressed concern at the water resistence of the OSB, and as I said the OSB will not be used in a shower area I think my 'fingers crossed approach' is just about justified. Had it been in a shower area I'm sure I would have heeded your advice so that I didn't have to do all the work again (or waste your time).

gcol said:
I think you mean OSB zampa. And no you can't cause OSB is Sterling board. Same stuff, just refered to as one or the other.

Ah right...I always thought OSB was a waterproof version of sterling board because thats what they use on flat roofs etc

Cheers

Zampa said:
Ah right...I always thought OSB was a waterproof version of sterling board because thats what they use on flat roofs etc
No they don't use water resistant stuff - that's why you see "wood" that has turned to weetabix when a flat roof has leaked. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back