Foolproof way to paint over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My ground floor walls are covered with a textured wallaper that has been painted last year.

The first floor is also covered in painted vinyl or that type of plasticy wallpaper with raised patterns in it (Anaglypta?).

I want to repaint them all to sell the property. Can you suggest a proper way of doing this, without stripping the walls pls.

GROUNDFLOOR:
I would like to put the paint on properly, reducing the risk of bubbling. Can we start off with a good primer to use on the coverings? Do I have to wash down or prep the walls in some way? What is the best type of paint to use?

FIRST FLOOR:
Any idea of the type of primer to use to allow paint to get good adhesion? What kind of paint is best used on Anaglypta/prepainted paper?

If I were to get someone in to a 3 bed semi - remove wallaper and repait, how much would this come to, do you think?

STUCK!!

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Basically if the walls are clean and the paper is well stuck to the walls then just repaint them with quality paint (dulux trade). Otherwise if you wish to have them stripped and painted it will cost you a lot more than just a few tins of paint. I guess by the wallcoverings you have at the moment that they have used these because the walls underneath are rough so if you were to strip them they will either need a lot of filling or better to line them which will invole more work and more cost.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a particular type of paint that I should use - I understand that there is Water and Oil based. Trade means better quality than retail?

Is it worth using a primer or something to

a: stop the colour of the borders coming thru

b: stop the water or paint actually dissolving the paste or colours on the wallpaper?

Is there a particular type of undercoat/primer used to help paint stick better to these vileda like wallpapers?

TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back