Shower inlet question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect a replacement shower and am having trouble with the water inlet connection. The shower is a standard Gainsborough model from B&Q. The inlet point on the base of the shower unit has some kind of plastic locking valve. I have tried connecting this to the hose supplying the water with a short length of copper piping then covering the join with plumbing sealant, but the connection leaks when the water is turned on. Any advice on how to make this properly sealed?

Sponsored Links
Could you just elaborate on the "plastic locking valve" thing? Is it not just a length of plasic pipe about 1" long? If so, just connect your compression fitting to it.

if its an electric shower don't use any type sealant at all to the shower inlet. it may invalidate the warrentry.

Sponsored Links
Would have thought the connection was a plastic push fit? No need for any sealant.

Make sure you have removed the inlet plug from the desired inlet. If your using chrome pipe, remove the chrome the full insertion depth of the pipe.

Don't really know what you mean by "Hose supplying water" could you be more specific. Also is the leak coming from the shower or the bodged up hose supplying water?

Lets know how your getting on ;)

Rich

It's a push-fit, or so it seems to me. This sprays water when I connect a pipe directly to it.
A mate, who's plumbing skills far outdo my pitiful abilities, suggested it just needed a compresion joint but I can't see how this would connect. The instruction manual just suggests 'connect water supply to shower', which isn't particularly helpful. I'll see if my mate can come over at the weekend to have a look at it - I suspect I'm in danger of electrocuting myself if I try to sort it out on my own.
Thanks for the replies.

If the pipe is the correct size, which it probably is, and the pipe is fully inserted and square to the inlet then it shouldn't leak unless your mains pressure is rediculously high.

I would take it back to B&Q and get another. They are usually good for refunds- I once cued behind a lad who took back two cans of spray paint because they were empty :eek: - likely story!

Do this before your mate has a look or he could be wasting his time if it is faulty.

I have the same question. Was this resolved? I have just bought a Gainsborough 9.5 Electric White "select" shower. In the instruction manual it states "An inlet plug must be removed from the chosen inlet port". Each inlet port is a "plastic push fit type". In the middle of each of these ports is a white plastic column with a horizontal slot in it (as if made for a flat blade screwdriver). I had assumed that you just pull this out but do not want to force it. Can anyone clarify the situation?

All electric showers that I've fitted in the past need a 15mm compression fittinf with no jointing compound.

have tried connecting this to the hose supplying the water with a short length of copper piping then covering the join with plumbing sealant, but the connection leaks when the water is turned on.

I really wish there was a picutre of this - it sounds great :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

azzar said:
I have the same question. Was this resolved? I have just bought a Gainsborough 9.5 Electric White "select" shower. In the instruction manual it states "An inlet plug must be removed from the chosen inlet port". Each inlet port is a "plastic push fit type". In the middle of each of these ports is a white plastic column with a horizontal slot in it (as if made for a flat blade screwdriver). I had assumed that you just pull this out but do not want to force it. Can anyone clarify the situation?

You're right - the plug has a slot in it so you can take it out with a screwdriver. It's only there to protect the seals underneath on the push fit connector.

To connect your supply, simply push copper or plastic pipe firmly in and then pull back a little (for most push fit's) to lock it. The pipe should be cut squarely and any burr removed from the end before fitting.
Also as mentioned, if it's chrome plated pipe you need to remove the chrome first or it won't grip and for plastic, you "should" use the recomended insert in the end, although it will often work without.

azzar said:

You're right - the plug has a slot in it so you can take it out with a screwdriver. It's only there to protect the seals underneath on the push fit connector.

To connect your supply, simply push copper or plastic pipe firmly in and then pull back a little (for most push fit's) to lock it. The pipe should be cut squarely and any burr removed from the end before fitting.
Also as mentioned, if it's chrome plated pipe you need to remove the chrome first or it won't grip and for plastic, you "should" use the recomended insert in the end, although it will often work without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back