Shared Guttering Who Is Responsible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi-detatched house there is rain down pipe that myself and my neighbough share. If you have a look at this link http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-13450634.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy its a picture of same style of house as mine, the down pipe we share is the one that drains the rain water off the roof, in the middle between the two houses
at the front, who owns this or is it shared ?

Im finding in heavy rain the water is not going down the pipe but poring off the roof galley down the wall, the tray thing to catch the water doesnt seem flush to the wall, plus its iron and has lots of leaks, its causing a damp patch on the ceiling of first floor front room in the corner nearest the down pipe.

Im in Pinner, Middlesex if anyone fancies giving me a quote, Im around this weekend and Monday throughout the day

Sponsored Links
Rolo said:
who owns this or is it shared ?
I would've thought both of you to share the cost.

You may have a slight blockage in the downpipe, a drain rod or a garden hose from the top with running water to flush it out, if there's no problem then will need a bigger downpipe and hopper such as 110mm to cope with the large amount of rain water

Had someone out to look at it, he said yes it was blocked, he said he would unblock it, and paint the hopper thing insome seleant stuff to stop the leaks. I thought ok thats not to bad, 1hrs work max, cant be more than £50 - £75, but he quoted me £200 then when I questioned it £150 :eek:. Are roofers really that expensive :?: This is north London / middlesex area.

It may not be blocked but who knows :?: It could be the hopper is cracked or a leaking joint. A bit difficult to see high up.

How do they know it's blocked :?:

Sponsored Links
looks like you`re right in Ladder gang territory :LOL: :LOL: Rogue traders too.........plumbers do the downpipes , I`d do you a nice ali one that looks as good as the cast .....but I`m in Sussex :cry:

Well he said he did the work without me agreeing and it was £150, got home and looks like he has done nothing. He left me his business card, interesting to note he live on a private road in a house that could not of cost anything less than £1 million.

Anyway I can look up rouge traders searched his company name on google and found nothing.

His business card lists the companies name but I checked it out and its not listed at Companies House, I take it any search firm would have to be registered as a limited ?

well, he`s stopped travelling then :eek: if he`s got a house.....you, sir have been had :cry: sorry but it`s a classic.

I aint paid him yet though, he has to come round for money for first, my ladder gets delievered tomorrow so I will be able to go up and have a look myself.

Hate it these days you cant trust anyone, gives honest traders a bad name.

rolo, if it's leaking on your side then it's leaking on your neighbours side too - approach them to share the costs.
IN A 1920 - 30'S property the cast iron will be ready for relacement but i would imagine your trouble is most likely coming from the lead flashings and shute into the hopper head.
If this has been going on for some time there is a possibility of fungus/wet rot damage to the underlying timbers, lifting the flashing will give some indications.
If you go up on a ladder then have someone foot it until you tie it in at the top, dont work off a "loose" ladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back