Low Pressure Problems on Worcester 28i Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new property but the Worcester 28i Combi boiler seems to have problems with pressure. The boiler works but the pressure has never gone above 1 and so is always below the recomended pressure.

If I need hot water and the contiol is on the hot water only mode the pressure is not enough to provide hot water, unless the central heating control is set to on, then it is ok.

I spoke to a friend and they recomended that I locate the pressure release valve and turn it until the pressure built up (item 10 on link)

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.detail&con_id=5052&detail_id=5793

Problem is it will only turn one way and the pressure has gone down even more now. I also have "T" shaped key thingy that I am apparently supposed to use but not sure how and where

Have I done the right thing but not enough or is there something else I need to do. I can't afford over £100 to get someone out just to turn the correct knob.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
various solutions to this problem

The t-shaped key goes in a hole on the underneath of the boiler located just to the left (facing). Put the key in so it is snug, twist a little. Some water may drip out but nothing to worry about. Next turn the pressure knob to increase the pressure. Go slight above what you require. 1.5-2.0 bar is the norm. Once achieved you need to turn the knob to the off position, careful as it is quite fragile and you can easily twist it off. Then remove key.

Fingers crossed should be ok. If not check all radiator that there is no air in them, use your rad key for this.

I had this problem last year, the above did work. Instructions on this should be in ur instruction manual. If you don't have it i can e-mail it.

Good luck

Hi

I had a look for all these pipes when I got home last night, I can't seem to locate any of these pipes. All I can locate is one pipe which has a tap on it (similar to a garden tap). I can't see where the other pipes go due to tiles but I do not think it is behind them as it looks pretty permanent.

Someone said that some combi boiler have all this internally, does this one?

Thanks

Dan

cuttertree said:

I had this problem last year, the above did work. Instructions on this should be in ur instruction manual. If you don't have it i can e-mail it.

Good luck

Would really appreciate if you could do that

email is:

[email protected]

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Under the boiler, below the dials etc there is a grill that pops out exposing the taps and hole for the t-shaped key

Hi
I can see where the key goes but I am not sure what it will do as its not really connected to anything. I can't see any taps though, apart from one that leaks water if you open it. (its black with a white mall connector.

Many thanks for your help on this but I think I really starting to lose the plot on this, and may have to pay to get a plumber out

Hi

I am not an expert and am still getting used to my combi boiler which is the same as yours (I am in the same situation as you as I moved into a new place some 6 months ago).

This is what I have under my boiler to re-pressurise the boiler:
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=accessory.detail&con_id=5052&detail_id=6388

I have not used it yet mind you, so cannot advise you. However, I believe that this accessory, called the charging link, is for the purpose of boosting the pressure of the boiler if you need to do this, e.g. after bleeding a radiator. From my reading of the manual, it connects the mains water pipe to the cold water pipework of the boiler internal system which needs to be kept at a minimum pressure to function efficiently and do what you need it to do.

Like I said, I have not had to use it yet, but as the other writer said, the white key goes into the hole and somehow is kept there by a simple twist which I have not yet figured out. Then, there is a knob that you release to supposedly let water pass through the connection to boost the pressure. Obviously, you need to close the knob again before finally removing the key.

Pls let me know of the outcome. I may need to carry out the same proceudre at some point as I have a radiator to bleed some time soon.

Hope this helps

Hi
Many thanks, will try and let you know the outcome. when looking at the boiler I am geussing the pressure tap is the small white thing on the left.

Whats do you rekon?

Dan

I don't know... as I don't know what you have got although you seem to have the key
My one looks like the picture in the link I gave you. The knob is black and is next to the T of the key - pls see picture in the link

Good luck - I need to try it myself...

dont listen to your friend!!! as the name suggests the pressure relief valve will loose pressure out of the system-not top it up and once moved they usually then leak and a new one is required.
Insert the filling key at bottom of boiler and twist lock it in position there should be a grey plastic hexagon head nxt to this,turn this to loose water into system-top it up to just over 1 bar

Dan
As the last writer said, the knob i was referring to in my last comment is hexagonal and my one is white. It needs to be turned clockwise to fill the boiler internal system with mains water from the mains pipe (After locking the T Key into place to link the 2 pipes - This is if you have the charging link accessory that I have as per picture:

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=accessory.detail&con_id=5052&detail_id=6388

Contrary to what I said last time, the white knob of the main accessory (Not the key) is next to the other end of the T of the key.

I have tried to boost the pressure up today and I have managed it. Good luck to you!

You were all correct, I successfully done this last night.

Many thanks all

Dan

The t-shaped key goes in a hole on the underneath of the boiler located just to the left (facing). Put the key in so it is snug, twist a little. Some water may drip out but nothing to worry about. Next turn the pressure knob to increase the pressure. Go slight above what you require. 1.5-2.0 bar is the norm. Once achieved you need to turn the knob to the off position, careful as it is quite fragile and you can easily twist it off. Then remove key.

Fingers crossed should be ok. If not check all radiator that there is no air in them, use your rad key for this.

Good luck

As it was a new property, surely you should been provided with the user documentation for the bolier - suggest you contact the builder and demand it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back