Can a DIY'er replace a radiator valve without draining down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hands up, I've caused a problem for myself.
When changing a rad I snapped off the tip of the lockshield valve when it seized shut. I now need to replace the radiator valve preferably without draining the sealed combi system. Can it be done?

I've thought of pipe freezing, but can't find a kit and have no idea how much it costs.
I've thought of removing the valve top and replacing it very quickly?
I've also thought of fitting a push fit pipe isolator inline with the valve to give me time to change the valve, but I have no idea if any of these (or other) ideas are viable.

Ideas please, hopefully one without making to much of a mess.

brockenlockshield.JPG

Sponsored Links
Turn all your other rads off and drain down. Rebalance and inhibit your system :D

Just drop the pressure in the system . You can swap the valve without draining down if you do it quickly, just have plenty of towels just incase.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. I took your advise and added a £23 domestic pipe freezing kit just in case. I managed to get away with only enough spillage to take up 2 sheets of kitchen roll :)

My only problem now is that after changing the rads I now have a rushing water type noise coming from the pipes which run down the wall from the upstairs boiler to the downstairs kitchen rad. I can only think of giving it a couple of weeks before bleeding the system again in case any air is in the pipework?

I did, but the paperwork that came with the new rads said to bleed again after 2-3 weeks, probably in case fitting the new rad creates an airlock in the system?

That just means bleed again in a few weeks anyway, you can bleed at anytime if you think theres air in, if its topped up with inhibiter and no leaks it should be fine.

Yeah I filled the largest rad with 1/2 litre of inhibitor to be on the safe side, but I'm concerned as to what the rushing water in the pipe coild be caused by?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back