water stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of our house appear to have had leaks from everything upstairs that could leak (bath, shower, HW cylinder, ...). Consequently there are loads of stains in the paintwork / plaster. What's the best way to cover these stains so that they don't show through the new coat of paint?

Sponsored Links
"Stain Block" or aluminium wood primer dabbed on with a brush which seems to me to do better, but is harder work and needs more covering since it is metallic grey, not whitish.

Of course, you have to make sure the leak is fixed and the plaster is not damaged (plasterboard in particular has a papery coating on each side which will come off or rot away).

Thanks for that. I've fixed all the leaks (I think) and apart from the paint having peeled off, the plaster board seems to be ok. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
White 'styptic' knotting is good as is white oil based undercoat..not gloss, the emulsion wont stick to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back