astra battery light power steering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Y reg astra 1.7 deisel estate
hi battery was low after not using car for a few weeks put a new battery on it but now battery ligt is on and power steering is not working could it be as simple as a fuse or a friend said it could be the alternator? any help greatly accepted thanks

Sponsored Links
If this started to happen as soon as you fitted the new battery then you have omiited to re-connect something(are there push on connectors with the battery lead?) or you have shorted something which may well have blown a fuse. If the charging light is now showing I doubt it is the alternator

yes but battery light being on shows its not charging, doesnt it?

The Alternator has failed, not enough power output = power steering shuts down. Seen it a few times and a new alternator always fixes it :)

Sponsored Links
If my memory serves me well, that cart doesn't have electric power steering.
I'd check the drive belt.

According to my info, fuse No.7 (fuse box nearest the n/s wing) in the engine bay is for the power steering.

;)

I checked today. The power steering on the car is driven by the same belt that drives the alternator. It's not electric so, it can't be a blown fuse.

Sorry people, but all Astra G's (Mk4)from late 1998 onwards have an electrically driven Hydraulic steering pump, not belt driven. Being a Y reg i.e 2001 this is the case.

Look down behind the gearbox toward the bulkhead and you will see the fluid reservoir that sits on top of the pump.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=vauxhall_astra_1_8_power_steering_failure

Alternator failure will always shut down the power steering, as the pump obtains it's power directly from the alternator.

Replaced loads of these whilst at Vauxhall, including my own Astra.

CJ

• Thanks
Reactions: mkh
Sponsored Links
Back