Best way to paint skirting board where carpet comes over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the best way to paint the skirting board where the carpet come slightly over it. Do I have to lift / remove the carpet?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When you say "over" I presume that you mean "against".

One way is to lift the carpet, slightly, at one wall, and curl the edge back underneath, then leave it that way while you paint the board and let it dry, then do the same with the next wall...

Just make sure the paint is bone dry including the bottom edge, I got caught out as it was still tacky on the bottom and dried elsewhere! It may mess the carpet up with the paint

Softus said:
When you say "over" I presume that you mean "against".

One way is to lift the carpet, slightly, at one wall, and curl the edge back underneath, then leave it that way while you paint the board and let it dry, then do the same with the next wall...

Or fold it back the other way and put something heavy on it...and like above...leave to dry before to let it drop back.

Sponsored Links
I have used this method loads of times and works a treat.
Using 1" thick masking tape at lenghths of about 1 metre, lay across edge of carpet by 1/2", so that the other 1/2" rests against skirting, using a PLASTIC fish fryer, star easing the tape down the edge of the carpet and continue along the length of tape. Make sure the fryer pushes the tape right down. You should find that the carpet edge is away and down from the skirting, held tight by the tape. Wait until completley dry, about 1 week then gently pull tape away from carpet so as not to pull away from the grippers. It may seem a pain but it should take no more than an hour to tape an average size room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back