Tiles coming away from Wall. What can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tiles in my bathroom in one small area are coming away from the wall. Rather than try to explain ive included a photo. I think there may have been a leak from the flat above before I bought the flat which has led to this happening. The owner of the fla above also owned my flat before I bought it which is why I guess it wasnt sorted when it happened on her insurance.
Anyway im a complete novice so any advice will need to be aimed that way. Ive considered trying to remove the tiles and put them back again but am worried I may damage some or they wont fit back on easily due adhesive on them. I cant put different tiles on really as these tiles go behind the toilet and sink which would make it too big a job. Ive also thought that its maybe the wall behind that has warped, altho I think this is unlikely as it is a solid wall between 2 flats.

Basically what im asking is, is there an easy solution, as at the moment im actually considering just getting a whole new bathroom. The rest of the bathroom is looking old but apart from these tiles I could manage with it.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Does it appear that the tiles been fitted so that they are butted up to each other (without using spacers) or is there a proper gap between the tiles?

No there is very little gap between them, so I couldnt just remove a row of 2 and fit them back in. I was wondering if I could remove a row of two tho and then use a tile cutter (ive never used one before) to trim a few mm off the top of one lot and then fit them back in. Ive never done anything like this before so have no idea how easily these tiles may come off without damage, or how easily they'll go back on.

Hmmm just as I suspected. ;)
There's not really much else you can do. What I can tell you is that you'll have to use a diamond blade on a tile cutter (wet table saw type) to cut that amount off, or else you'll make a mess of it. You'll need to use the guide on the saw to make sure the tile is kept dead straight too.
You may find that this is only a temporary repair though and a few more tiles will start to "blow" like these have done.

Sponsored Links
Do you think these tiles will remove quite easily?? If im at risk at making a mess I could just fill the gap with sealer, and ignore it for another year. It doesnt look great but if I start this project and it goes wrong and I damage some tiles or more move then it could be very expensive to put right.

DirtySteve said:
Do you think these tiles will remove quite easily??
It will come off easily but you may need at least 2 more people to hold all the tiles next to it, I can see at least 6 tiles is ready to fall off once you start removing the first tile, might be idea to sellotape a good length over them and do one at a time.

You could take the 6 tiles to the tile shop and they will trim it back for you and then bed it back on and hope for the best, I think long term is to take it all down if another tile is lifting.

OK, so I went for it. They came off sooo easy. They were only left on by the grouting between the tiles. Thanks for the tip of taping them together. This really helped. I used 3 strips of masking tape on each row, and chipped away at the grouting and eased them off.

Whilst I tidy them up please help on what to do next. Im looking for a tile shop to mabe trim them, but what is the best way to remove the thick layers of adhesive used beneath still stuck to the wall without damaging the surrounding tiles. Any help hugely appreciated as Im so new to all this.

Thanks

Ohhhhh **** !!!!! The very last tile to come off. From the 4th row along and it broke. Now I am screwed!! :(

Any ideas? New bathroom? :(

First of all if I tile a bathroom I allways leave a couple of odd tiles under the bath (Worth a check). If you cant find any get a tile that matches as close as possible and remove a whole one from a place where it cant be seen or out of direct site. Replace the tile on the wall with the matched one and add thenew one to the ground level...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back