JOINING CARPETS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you join 2 pieces of the same carpet together and maked it look like one piece of carpet?

Sponsored Links
if you dont know dont bother trying. You need exspensive tools to do it. Sorry a bit blunt but thats what it comes down to. You can maybe try and get a fitter to do it for you. I could tell you how to do it but with out the tools you have no chance of making it look even half good.

Rhbeen said:
How do you join 2 pieces of the same carpet together and maked it look like one piece of carpet?
I'm no "expert" carpet fitter but I have successfully joined carpet with a cheap stanley knife & a 3ft steel rule.Make sure when laying both pieces that the pile runs in the same direction.If you overlap the edges & cut through BOTH pieces together moving the rule or whatever straight edge you decide to use.When you remove the offcuts from both pieces the edges will match perfectly.Spray carpet adhesive on the floor underneath the overlap & smooth down.Job done!:D

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
untill it frays
All I can say is I must have been lucky with the adhesive.It never did fray & lasted 4 different tenants over 2 years.The only reason for replacement was an iron burn right in the middle.Why can't people buy ironing boards,this has happened so often!

how funny. Dont try this! it wont last ten minutes. Unless your paying pennys for the carpet. Then it dont really matter. You can just change carpet ever couple of months.

mattysupra said:
how funny. Dont try this! it wont last ten minutes. Unless your paying pennys for the carpet. Then it dont really matter. You can just change carpet ever couple of months.
Why is it funny & why shouldn't he/she try it? As I said mine lasted for two years not ten minutes.The carpet was felt backed at 4.99 a metre.Yes probably "pennies" compared to others but did you ask the OP what they were using in your answer?Makes a difference. ;)

like i said if they paying pennys it dont matter if it dont last. But as a qualified witness supplying reports in the flooring trade to court cases etc, maybe you should give it a thought that if you rent out property, and if one of your joins you have preformed does fail causing someone to trip and hurt them selfs in your property, well who they going to make a large claim against? The floor layer for not doing it to british standard? Dont want to sound like im having ago but we all know that every one trying to rip every one off for a penny or two! You become an easy target. specially if someone breaks there leg outside in a park or something and then goes to his solicitor and says it happens at his rented property whos flooring wasn't fitted to british standard. I see this all the time. But unless you can prove it no fault of your own, well lets see how deep your pocket is.

mattysupra said:
like i said if they paying pennys it dont matter if it dont last. But as a qualified witness supplying reports in the flooring trade to court cases etc, maybe you should give it a thought that if you rent out property, and if one of your joins you have preformed does fail causing someone to trip and hurt them selfs in your property, well who they going to make a large claim against? The floor layer for not doing it to british standard? Dont want to sound like im having ago but we all know that every one trying to rip every one off for a penny or two! You become an easy target. specially if someone breaks there leg outside in a park or something and then goes to his solicitor and says it happens at his rented property whos flooring wasn't fitted to british standard. I see this all the time. But unless you can prove it no fault of your own, well lets see how deep your pocket is.

I have only just joined this board and despite the name I'm sure it is intended to help people with their diy projects.
If someone asks a question,rather than fob them off with an answer in the vein of ' If I tell you how to do it ,you'll put me out of work'.Why didn't you ask them for more details?
Using your argument of a court case "like i said if they paying pennys it dont matter if it dont last."surely that's a contradiction?What you appear to be saying is that all carpets should be fitted by professionals to British Standards(Probably european standards these days but that's another matter!)So any home owner whether for own use or to let has to use a professional to avoid being sued for accidents etc.But if he uses cheap carpets it's ok.

you wouldn't put a very cheap carpet in an area to take large wear. You would have to be a bit silly . Im sorry if you think me and the other person who answered your question is knocking what you said. All im trying to say is that as a profesional i cant give someone false advise and if someone else gives false advise is i belive i or someone else should correct this advise. There is plenty of things i have been wrong about over the years and when someone corrects me i appreciate them putting me wright, this is how all learn. Hope you can see where i am coming from and dont want you to think im having ago at you.

Hope you can see where i am coming from and dont want you to think im having ago at you
First of all,no I don't think that.
I am a member of various forums as I feel that the web is a great place to share information.I love helping people.However there are a number of people on every site who use it as a personal platform to promote their own egocentric ideas & beliefs. When I first registered tonight,the first post I looked at was the joining carpets one (as I had done that) When I saw your reply to this persons post,my immediate thought was 'Here he is already'.For that Presumption I Apologise Unreservedly.
All im trying to say is that as a profesional i cant give someone false advise
This was the point,you didn't give false advice.You didn't give any constructive advice.
You didn't ask the OP why,what or where?You just told him/her they shouldn't do it.IMHO that is not helping anyone.
Just for argument sake,if the OP was someone who lived alone,never had visitors but wanted to carpet his adjoining living room/dining room & make it look nice for his own benefit,my answer would have helped him more. :)

Before telling someone not to try something its best, first, to ensure you know whats being attempted - for example if its a Woven back carpet its an entirely different task to a foam backed carpet. If you have the advice on how it could be done it would be polite to give it adding any personal opinions on its chances of success afterwards.

@ pickerswinkle.....

you claim to be a member of various web forums yet...

....patently you are unaware of who is a recognised expert on this forum

...to find out is quite simple - you search previous posts made by the member, this very quickly gives you an idea of who to listen to and who to take with a pinch of salt.

my understanding is that this forum is ALL about good sound advice

wheras your advice is............ well..........

enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a load of breeze lol.

I have done the overlap trick on lining paper before.. but when it comes to carpet it will probably only work on thin low quality material..

The proper way to do it would be with a carpet seeming iron and joining tape. basically align the 2 pieces lay down the tape and run the iron across using a roller roll the carpet over the tacky glue. You can use a cold joining tape but it isn't very good. You'll always see the join though, even pro's can struggle and it will show after a few years of wear and tear maybe not at first..

YouTube is your friend :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back