Kitchen tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently moved into a old house.
unfortunaly the last owner tiled the large kitchen floor to ceiling in yellow tiles.
My question is what would be the cheapest way to get rid of these tiles.
I will be upgrading the kitchen anyway.
1. Tile over existing ones
2. take tiles of walls and replaster.
3. Dot and dab plaster board! over tiles {do i have to skin this before decorating}
Any other suggestions would be wellcome,
Thanks Paul.

Sponsored Links
Think you've mentioned all that can be done.Tiling over is the cheapest way.
We re did our bathroom which was double tiled.Taking all the tiles off was messy,and a lot of holes needed filled,we then had the whole bathroom plastered and tiled.So if you want to start from scratch,be prepared!!

No 2 is the only realistic way.

You would be very lucky indeed if you removed all the tiles without causing damage to the plaster.

Definitely remove all the tiles. Repair damage caused by removal (almost inevitable especially in an old property) and skim the walls.

If the kitchen is large then I suspect you'll be spending a large wedge of cash anyway. The last thing you want to do is cut corners and risk cheapening the end result.

Sponsored Links
Yes No.2, it may be possible to tile over existing tiles if they are sound but if it was me i'd be happier with the old tiles off.

I have lived in two houses like yours with floor to ceiling tiles on most walls in the kitchen and am working on the second one now. Definately remove them - it is quite hard work and particularly soul destroying when you remove most of the wall with each tile. I was lucky in first 50s built house - the tiles came away easily with not much damage to walls. 2nd time has been more difficult - kitchen extension built in 80s - big patches where whole of plaster has been removed back to breeze block. Ultimately finish will be better once replastered. Another plus point for an amateur like me is that tiling is much easier on a newly plastered flat surface (just from an amateur point of view). I have vowed never to tile more than splashbacks from now on as I can see how difficult it is to change.
Good luck!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back