Painting on 10 day old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently had some plastering done to create a fireplace "alcove" on the chimney breast in our dining room. The plasterer created a "box" with plasterboard and then skimmed a small amount (max 5mm deep) of plaster over to make it flush to the wall. We left it about 10 days to dry.

Last night I painted a base coat of emulsion over the plastered area to ready it for painting today. However, overnight two very small patches (about 5cm diameter each) of flaking paintwork have appeared. I have no reason to suspect that the plaster work should be still damp, the plaster having been so shallow anyway and having left it for a reasonably long time with the heating mostly on. Is it safe just to sand these areas down and repaint?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ooops.......

Was it silk or soft sheen? (matt is better) and did you remember to thin it down?

I wouldnt have thought it was down to dampness...but it could have been caused by the plasterer 'polishing' the surface...when that happens the plaster becomes virtually impervious to paint

You should be ok to re do it...give it a good scrape to get rid of the lose..rub it down and then touch it up with thinned emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back