Lining and paiting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, expect quite a few question from me over the next few weeks :)

currently have paint (several layers think) over old wallpaper in living room,
paper is coming away around the window, and the paint job is drab

I want to strip off the current wall paper, put up some think lining paper and then paint it.

I know the best solution is to skim it, but no way could i afford that at the mo.

I havnet inspected the conditions of the walls, but probably not great.

Will the linig paper give a decent finish
Any tips or suggestions are very welcome

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The lining paper will give you a very good finish and give the walls a uniform appearance.

The condition of the walls will dictate the thickness of the paper..if they arnt too bad then 800 or a 1000 grade will do the job...if they are really bad then you might need 1200+

But remember, lining paper isnt a cure all...you may still need to do a bit of preparation first.

There are two main reasons you line before painting..one is to help smooth out a rough surface...two give a uniforom finish to a wall that might have different surfaces ie some parts of the wall have paint some are bare plaster.

The thicker and higher grade the lining paper the more of a texture it has...and it will be more noticalbe once painted...600 grade is the smoothest but is also the hardest to hang and covers the least amount of imperfections..1600 grade covers more..is easier to hang but has a bit more of a surface texture

So toy might want to think abou linging a wall twice with 800 instead.

Wow thanks for the reply, thats great

you may still need to do a bit of preparation first.
what additional factors and prep should i be considering.

Ive hung paper, and painted loads of stuff before, but never really been the one to plan out what need doing :)

help appreciated

Sponsored Links
apj101 said:
Wow thanks for the reply, thats great

you may still need to do a bit of preparation first.
what additional factors and prep should i be considering.

Ive hung paper, and painted loads of stuff before, but never really been the one to plan out what need doing :)

help appreciated

The general state of the wall...are there loads of different textures and levels, ridges etc?

You will certainly need to to wash the wall down and gve it a rub down to remove all the crud and nibs...then check to see what filling is needed, if theres a lot then youl be better off using easi-fil or sometime similar, it will work out cheaper than polyfilla.

If there are areas of bare plaster you will need to size em first...and if theres a lot of filling youl need to size that too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back