what is the difference between 1 gang and 2 gang please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

On a light switch can you tell me the difference between 1 gang and 2 gang.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
judy2611 said:
Hello,

On a light switch can you tell me the difference between 1 gang and 2 gang.

Thanks.

Hi Judy,

One gang has one switch. Two gang has two switches. Guess how many switches a three gang has?

Fred

Thanks Fred for your answer, but in B and Q . they had one switch with one gang and 2 gang, then a double switch with 1 gang and 2 gang , so any ideas please ? I wont reply to the 3 gang one .........:D

Hmmmm, must be one way and two way.

One way is that it's the only switch to control a light, two way is a switch that controls a light where there is another switch that also controls the light, such as at the top and bottom of the stairs.

I hope I've got it the right way round!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fred for your help. It does make sense what you said , but I am still confused a bit .........but thanks anyway .......:D

The moral is that B&Q frequently get it wrong!

As Fred said one gang is one switch, two gang is two switches . . .

One way switch has two terminals on the back for each switch, two way has three terminals for each switch, intermediate has four connections per switch.

Double pole switches have more connections and are a different story (usually uses on righ circuits rather than light circuits)

FredFlintstone said:
One gang has one switch. Two gang has two switches. Guess how many switches a three gang has?

or 4, 5, 6 gang, etc... ;)

Does this help?

Single-gang socket
p1684893_l.jpg

Two-gang socket
p1448968_l.jpg

One-gang light switch
p1449824_l.jpg

Two-gang light switch
p1684441_l.jpg

Three-gang switch
p2302085_l.jpg

One gang dimmer
p2573089_l.jpg

Two-gang dimmer
p2349125_l.jpg

Three-gang dimmer
p2370125_l.jpg

1 gang:

MKK4870.JPG

2 gang:

MKK4872.JPG

Do the pictures make it easier?

A 1 way switch can turn a light on or off from a single point and has 2 terminals on the back (common and L1)
A pair of 2 way switches can turn a light on or off from two points. Each switch has 3 terminals (common, L1 and L2)

A 1 gang 1 way switch looks the same from the front as a 1 gang 2 way switch etc.

Don't rely on B&Q for electrical advise, infact don't rely on them for advice. :)

Davy

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
hysterical.gif

4-gang dimmer
p2370256_l.jpg

3-gang socket
p2435469_l.jpg

4-gang socket
p2987541_l.jpg

Faceplates with larger numbers of switches are usually assembled on-site by the electrician using a Gridswitch system (you may have seen these in shops and office)

p3139907_l.jpg

p3192577_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back