Plaster Coving Join When The Run Is Too Long For One Length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just curious to the correct method or cut for butting two lengths of plaster coving together on a run (not internal or external corner), I've seen a mitre join in the middle of a run and I've seen a straight cut/join.

Does it matter as long as depth and height match up well!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Mitre the joint but chamfer both edges a couple of mm first then fill then...if you dont you may find the paper face of the coving furs up and shows a line when painted.

another couple of tips, use a soft filler that rubs down easy, I find easi fill or powdered tetrion the best. Don't use poly filler as it sets hard and is a mare to rub down. When filling leave slightly proud and be gentle with the sanding. If you start rubbing the coving paper too much you will leave a bur on it that will show through the paint forever more.

Thanks for all information, just one thing, why is a mitre joint an advantage over just a straight join in the middle of a run?

Sponsored Links
Stronger and wont leave a possible void beind it that will crack for evermore

Do the mitre cut angle away from the window light so it doesn't shadow but if you rub it down with filler you should be okay

It's the same with skirting board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back