Hole in Internal Plasterboard Wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My intelligent teenager son decided to Punch a hole in an internal Plasterboard wall at the weekend ('cos that is what Intelligent teenager son's do..), anyway he hasn't gone thought both sides of the wall, the wall is hollo Iis that how you spell hollo? I mean its just empty, spell checker didn't say anything was wrong, just wasn't sure), so I need to repair it, what i was was thinking is cut the hole into a square, then cut a new piece of plaster board that is a tight fit, maybe put some glue on the edge, then put it in the hole.Wait for glue to set, then skim over.

Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
No need to cut it square, buy some plaster board (try & get off cut), small bay plaster. Cut plaster board bigger than hole, but make sure it goes in the hole, put plaster on the plaster board, put it through the hole & pull towards you it will stick to the original plaster board, let it go off cut plaster board to now fit into hole, mix plaster & fit, fill edges ..Job done

there are two other ways too.

trim the damaged boards horizontally to the nearest upright, then cut a piece of board and fix it to the uprights.

or, similar to Diyisfun's method: cut a flat piece of timber (skirting board, floor board etc.) similar in width to the hole but elongated. feed it through the hole then fix it with drywall screws, straight through the existing plasterboard and into the flat board.
you now have a backer on which to fix your plasterboard patch.

for handling purposes and to assist with maneuverability, it helps to fix a long screw into the flat board.

Thanks to both of you :D
I will have a look at it the weekend and see what is the best way to do it.

Great Advice,Thanks again

Steve

Sponsored Links
Use Self-adhesive mesh tape for drywall joint tape to cover the joint.

I think Hollow is the word you're looking for ;)

Is it OK to muscle in on this discussion? I have a 3" roughly circular hole in a ceiling - daughter's head! Can I do the same thing from above - that is have a bit larger piece of plasterboard and glue it against the hole? I presume I can then build up layers of plaster from below. I suppose it will show, but I have really hard plasterboard dating from the 1950s and it seems to show all cracks after a while - even though I am really careful when decorating. Any tips gratefully read!

Thank you Skybluescooby for the reply and sorry not to have thanked you before. I have now done the job and it looks great. It's brilliant for a complete amateur to have access to so much useful information!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back