How do I Paint a Garage Roller Shutter Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,

I have a roller shutter door on my garage in a rather dated 80’s style burn orange colour and I want to paint it white.

The question is what paint should I be using, I’m guessing ‘normal’ paint will fake off when the door rolls up?

I’ve tried talking to garage door manufactures/dealers but they are all clueless. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached is a picture of the door where some of the paint has come off after rubbing against something, hope this helps.

GarageDoor2a.jpg

GarageDoor1a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any paint if rubben like that will come off...you may have a slight kink in the door which is causing it to rub...worth checking out first.

Theres a paint called QD something...avaiable in the crown centres that is pretty tough and hard wearing

Don’t worry about where is has rubbed, that was my fault as I had something resting against it.

I’m guessing that the paint will need to be quite flexible when it dries to stop it cracking/peeling off as the door bend and flexes onto the roller?

Sponsored Links
I painted one like this 2 yr ago.. I just made sure I dulled the old gloss and washed down.. and gave just two coats of dulux weathersild gloss No undercoat!! The weathershield gloss is flexible as opposed to conventional gloss which would go brittle and ping off when door is operated...
Ps I thinned the gloss a little for easy flow out.. Not too much though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back