Painting ten year old artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum

I hope someone can give me some advice. My flat is about 10 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I don't think the ceilings have been painted since the flat was built so they were in desperate need of brightening up. I tried to paint the ceiling in one of the rooms a few weeks ago. I used the same paint as I put on the walls - matt emulsion - and I put it on with a roller. About a quarter of the way in the existing paint started to peel off on the roller in quite large strips. I think it is the existing paint anyway, the artex underneath seems fine and none of it is coming off. I actually stopped painting so the ceiling doesn't look great. There are patches where the paint has peeled off but I need to paint the ceilings in the rest of the flat and don't want this to keep happening. Does anyone know why the old paint is peeling off and how to stop it in the other rooms. I would really appreciate some advice.

thanks
Emma

Sponsored Links
1/ If the artex is already painted, then it would be most likely that the first coat of emulsion was applied to thick or too thin 'if Vinyl Silk or Vinyl Soft Sheen was used' over the bare artex. 2/ If the artex was not painted, and the peeling emulsion is happening during when you are applying the emulsion then you are maybe using One-Coat Emulsion. Or you are doing 1/ above. Also, what is the EXACT Brand and Make and instructions on the emulsion you have used ?

Hi - thanks for your reply

the artex is already painted but this was done about ten years ago. When I started to paint it a few weeks ago the peeling happened on the first coat I put on (I haven't done a second as I'm too worried it will all start to peel off). I was using One Coat - B&Q brand. I'm not at home at the moment so I couldn't tell you what the instructions are. When I paint the other rooms do you think I should use just regualr emulsion? Why would One Coat make this happen?

thanks again.
Emma

Sorry for the rant here, but One Coat Emulsions shoud be all binned as they are to thick, period. You say that your first coat is peeling from the already emulsioned artex. Therefore, is your already emulsioned artexed cielings of an Matt or silky finish ?

Sponsored Links
have you washed the ceiling down in preparation?

mix up some sugar soap and scrub it over with a 6 inch brush

keep mess to a minimum by drying it down with your other hand holding a tea towel and dabbing.

Hi All

thanks for your replies. I've had a closer look at the artex and it seems as though it was not painted in the first place so the one-coat paint did not sink in. I've had some advice to water down emulsion with half quantity of water and put it on with a brush so it sinks into the porus artex. After this first diluted coat it will be OK to use general (but not one coat) emulsion and apply with a brush.

thanks again
Emma

In my experience "charlton.e" NEVER paint bare artex with just a brush. Always use a roller and only use a brush to cut in and use a small 2 inch brush. If your artex cielings are of an stipple nature then dry roll the artex first. Also, be aware that not all emulsions can be used over bare artex. Do not use PVA as a first coat either or even thin paste. Buy some Dulux Trade Supermatt and follow the instructions on the tub/tin.

Third_Eye said:
In my experience "charlton.e" NEVER paint bare artex with just a brush.

What about washing it prior to painting?

Particularly if ppl smoke there...

Washing it first improves paint coverage

ModernMaterials said:
Third_Eye said:
In my experience "charlton.e" NEVER paint bare artex with just a brush.

What about washing it prior to painting?

Particularly if ppl smoke there...

Washing it first improves paint coverage
If ya wash bare artex then it will soften and destroy the artex.

ModernMaterials said:
And why are you so concerned about brushing it?

In my experience it reduces spatter.
Avoiding Spatter has nothing to do with whats going on with the bare artex cieling, whilst being given first coat. The spatter is of little importance to the cieling. Also, by brushing a bare artex cieling with emulsion then this creates build up of emulsion. Therefore, damaging some of the artex surface. Just like when ya see on external roughcast when painted with brushes i.e. it starts to flatten over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back