Fencing Company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'am aiming to start my own \\\"Fencing Company\\\" i wondered if any members have advice for me. Thank You.

Yes, do not try advertising on diy forums (NOT that you have )

Sponsored Links
Yes,
1,Get public liability insurance & employers insurance (to cover any casual workers you may use)

2,Visit your bank for business advice & set up an account, (I use an auto mated business account with barclays all free if automated systems are used but you pay 28p per cheque you pay in (larger commercial customers tend to pay by BACS).

3,Register with inland rev as selfemployed (sole trader).
Get an accountant on board unless you feel confident to do your own books & self assessment.

4,Get a 30day account at suppliers, but pay them promptly.
don't use cheap materials from B&Q or other diy sheds.

5,Never offer warranty on customer supplied materials (usually from a diy shed).

6,Be certious (spelt wrong ?) with a smile to customers (even when your feeling crap).

7,Put aside one day a week for pricing / looking at jobs.
Dress in smart casuals when pricing / measuring up jobs, not work wear (look like the boss)

8,Always say you'll take the old rubbish away free of charge (add £60 to original quote somewhere to cover this).

9,Add 4% to quote, then when you send invoice state a discount of 4% is offered if payment is received within 7 working days (i use this on larger jobs)

10,Never cut corners, or the bottom off post because you cant be arsed to dig the hole deeper.

11,Have a small portfolio of fence types (no prices) to show customers, can guarantee when they see closeboard 9 time out of 10 they will go for it.

12,Get the van sign written and don't just have a mobile or 0800 number (these put off potential customers, they think cowboy).
Remember a good quality job will lead to more work.

13,When you say you'll be there make sure you are (save time load the van the night before)

14,But most important of all, don't over do it always keep Sunday as a FAMILY day, because believe me the temptation to take on just one more job as it's small will end up with you working 7 days a week making her indoors a tad miffed (been there and done it) and the " I'm doing it for you & the family" routine wears thin after a while.

Hope that helps and good luck with your venture, it's a good line of work and has good profits if your any good at fencing and enjoy working outdoors (saying that I have to quote to put up chainlink inside a warehouse), it keeps me fit at the age of 40.

Excellent advice. Do you use many casuals, and how do you find them. Is it "cash in hand" and make them responsible for their own tax affairs?.

To add:
Also think about how you're going to market the business - local papers, business directories, internet, flyers etc. Get some business cards made up to leave with customers (send them a bottle of wine if they pass on your details, which turns into a job)

Buy the best tools you can afford - they are tax deductable, and will last you longer than cheapo versions.

Make sure you have savings or other income to tide you over until you hit profit.

Your local Chamber of Commerce is a good source of information on setting up in business, and can advise if grants are available. Joining the chamber will enable you to access other incentives such as cheap AA cover.

Sponsored Links
HandyHands said:
Excellent advice. Do you use many casuals, and how do you find them. Is it "cash in hand" and make them responsible for their own tax affairs?.

I tend to use my brother or cousin, now that I have them semi trained in the art of fencing.

To add:
Also think about how you're going to market the business - local papers, business directories, internet, flyers etc. Get some business cards made up to leave with customers (send them a bottle of wine if they pass on your details, which turns into a job)

Flyers in your local area are the way to go at the moment, especialy after the high winds.

Buy the best tools you can afford - they are tax deductable, and will last you longer than cheapo versions.

Couldn't agree more.

Make sure you have savings or other income to tide you over until you hit profit.

Profit wont be long in comming if your good at the work and dont mind grafting.

Your local Chamber of Commerce is a good source of information on setting up in business, and can advise if grants are available. Joining the chamber will enable you to access other incentives such as cheap AA cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back